Attack victims in Man United’s ‘minds and hearts’
MANCHESTER: Jose Mourinho says the victims of a deadly bomb attack in Manchester are in the “minds and hearts” of his squad as Manchester United prepared for Wednesday’s Europa League final against Ajax in Stockholm, Sweden.
Britain’s deadliest attack for 12 years saw 22 people killed, including children, and 59 injured when a bomb went off at a concert by United States singer Ariana Grande at the Manchester Arena on Monday.
“We’re sad about the tragic events last night; we can’t take out of our minds and hearts the victims & their families,” said Mourinho in comments posted on United’s Twitter feed yesterday.
“We have a job to do and will fly to Sweden to do that job. It’s a pity we can’t fly with the happiness we always have before a big game.”
Mourinho, who only joined United last year, added: “I know, even during my short time here, that the people of Manchester will pull together as one.”
The Twitter comments were set to be his only public statement of the day after United had earlier announced they were cancelling yesterday’s scheduled pre-match press conference in Stockholm.
“Due to the tragic events in Manchester last night and the effect that this has had on everyone here at our club and within our city, we have decided to cancel this pre-match press conference in Stockholm,” United said.
“We are sure that, in the circumstances, you will all understand our position on this matter.
“Our thoughts are with the victims at this terribly difficult time.” AFP
The Union Jack flying at half-mast above Parliament in London, the United Kingdom, yesterday as a mark of respect to those killed and injured at the Manchester Arena terror attack.