Other fam­ily mem­bers at home dur­ing time of al­leged rape, says fos­ter mum

New Straits Times - - News - KELLY KOH ME­LAKA kelly.koh@nst.com.my

COULD the 13-year-old girl, re­ported to have walked 5km to a po­lice sta­tion to re­port that she had been raped by her fos­ter fa­ther since she was 9, made up the whole thing?

Her fos­ter mother told the Wel­fare De­part­ment that it would had been im­pos­si­ble for her hus­band to rape the girl on Sun­day, as claimed by her, as there were other fam­ily mem­bers at the house in Kam­pung Se­batu at the time of the al­leged in­ci­dent.

State de­part­ment di­rec­tor Burhanud­din Bachik said the fos­ter mother, in an in­ter­view with his of­fi­cers, claimed the girl had been want­ing to leave her fos­ter par­ents’ house.

“The fos­ter mother said the girl was good at so­cial­is­ing with boys and she had been go­ing out with them, ad­ding that she had wanted to leave the house and be free, as well as re­turn to her bi­o­log­i­cal mother in Ku­lai, Jo­hor.”

He said the fos­ter mother said she would leave it to po­lice to in­ves­ti­gate the al­le­ga­tions.

The teen was be­lieved to have been abused by a care­taker to whom she had been en­trusted by her bi­o­log­i­cal mother and had re­quired in­ten­sive care at a hos­pi­tal in Jo­hor. Fol­low­ing her hos­pi­tal stay, she was put un­der the care of the fos­ter fam­ily in Mer­li­mau by court or­der in 2010.

It was re­ported that the teen had walked 5km from her fos­ter par­ents’ home to the Mer­li­mau po­lice sta­tion to lodge a re­port against her fos­ter fa­ther for rap­ing her again. She claimed he of­ten raped her when her fos­ter mother, a nurse, was at work. The lat­est in­ci­dent was on Sun­day which oc­curred when the fos­ter mother was in Jo­hor Baru.

She lodged a re­port, claim­ing that he raped her twice when she was sleep­ing on Sun­day.

State Crim­i­nal In­ves­ti­ga­tion De­part­ment chief As­sis­tant Com­mis­sioner Ka­malud­din Kas­sim said the vic­tim was un­der ob­ser­va­tion at Me­laka Hos­pi­tal.

“We will re­fer her to psy­chi­a­trists for eval­u­a­tion.”

The fos­ter fa­ther was re­manded for seven days start­ing Mon­day to as­sist in in­ves­ti­ga­tions. He was ar­rested at his house on Sun­day. The New Straits Times tried to in­ter­view the fos­ter mother, but she de­clined, say­ing she and her fam­ily wanted pri­vacy.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.