MRT DRAWS GOOD RESPONSE, SAYS PM
‘Govt now working to deliver Sungai Buloh-Serdang-Putrajaya line by 2020’
THE new Mass Rapid Transit Sungai BulohKajang (MRT SBK) line has received positive feedback and many speak with pride about those who built the world-class public transportation system.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said to read about the the response on MRT SBK line, which became fully operational since July 17, had been a delight for him.
Najib said with that in place, the Barisan Nasional (BN) government was now working on the second MRT route, the Sungai Buloh-Serdang-Putrajaya (SSP) line.
“Our focus now is to deliver the second line to the people. The MRT SSP line will benefit some two million residents from Sungai Buloh to Putrajaya, encompassing Sri Damansara, Kepong, Batu, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, Jalan Tun Razak, KLCC, Tun Razak Exchange, Kuchai Lama, Sungai Besi, Seri Kembangan and Cyberjaya.”
The prime minister said this in his latest posting on his official blog , najibrazak.com, yesterday.
Najib said based on studies, the 52.2km MRT SSP line with 37 stations would be able to record 529,000 passengers per day commuting on the service line when operational by the second quarter of 2022.
“This is another project anticipated by the people and I believe we will succeed once again, InsyaAllah (God willing),” he said.
Najib, meanwhile, hit out at opposition leaders who had claimed that the cost of building the MRT line would be RM100 billion.
“It’s ridiculous. So, can we believe them? Just like other accusations, this is just a tactic to confuse and frighten the public,” he said.
Najib said from the financial aspect of building the MRT line, a large portion of it was through the tender system to ensure
transparency and continuity of the project, besides good governance.
“We also did not forget the Bumiputera empowerment agenda.
“About 50 per cent of the work was given to Bumiputera companies from the main work package,” he said.