Man faces more than 630 counts of rap­ing, sodomis­ing daugh­ter

Vic­tim was first sex­u­ally as­saulted in Saudi Ara­bia, says source

New Straits Times - - Front Page - HARIZ MOHD AND KHAIRAH N. KARIM KUALA LUMPUR news@nst.com.my

AMAN is ex­pected to be charged in the Spe­cial Court on Child Sex­ual Crimes in Pu­tra­jaya to­day with more than 630 counts of rape and sodomy of his own teenage daugh­ter, all al­legedly com­mit­ted in the space of just two years.

Sources told the New Straits Times that in­ves­ti­ga­tions had led po­lice to dis­cover that the man, aged 37, had al­legedly be­gun com­mit­ting the heinous acts since he di­vorced his wife in 2015.

A source said the sex­ual abuse was said to have started when the vic­tim, now aged 15, fol­lowed her fa­ther to per­form the um­rah in Mecca in 2015.

“From in­ves­ti­ga­tions, it was re­vealed that the vic­tim was first as­saulted sex­u­ally when they were in Saudi Ara­bia, and it con­tin­ued un­til re­cently when she re­lated her or­deal to her mother,” said the source.

An­other source, who spoke to the NST af­ter po­lice ar­rested the sus­pect last month, had said the vic­tim, who went to live with her fa­ther af­ter the di­vorce, de­cided to speak up when she learnt that the man wanted to take her two younger sis­ters to live with them.

The younger sib­lings had been liv­ing with their mother af­ter the di­vorce.

The source said the vic­tim was wor­ried that her fa­ther would sub­ject her younger sis­ters, aged 9 and 11, to the same hor­ri­fy­ing acts.

How­ever, when the story broke late last month, it was only re­ported that the sex­ual as­saults had oc­curred “many times”.

Petaling Jaya po­lice chief As­sis­tant Com­mis­sioner Mohd Zani Che Din con­firmed that the sus­pect would be charged to­day in Pu­tra­jaya.

He said the man had been un­der po­lice re­mand since his ar­rest on July 26, which was prompted by a re­port lodged by the girl’s mother two days ear­lier.

It is learnt that the sus­pect’s iden­tity, how­ever, would be kept se­cret as pro­ceed­ings at the court would be held in-cam­era so as to pro­tect the vic­tim.

The num­ber of charges mean the man could face as many as 3,000 years in jail, fig­u­ra­tively speaking, and a large num­ber of strokes of the rotan.

Se­lan­gor Crim­i­nal In­ves­ti­ga­tion Depart­ment chief Se­nior As­sis­tant Com­mis­sioner Fadzil Ah­mat said the sus­pect would be fac­ing 632 charges for of­fences un­der the Pe­nal Code, Sex­ual Of­fences Against Chil­dren Act 2017 (SOACA) and Chil­dren’s Act 2016.

“The sus­pect will be charged tomorrow with 599 counts of com­mit­ting car­nal in­ter­course against the order of na­ture without con­sent, and one count un­der Sec­tion 376A of the Pe­nal Code for rape.

“He is also go­ing to face 30 counts un­der Sec­tion 14 of SOACA (phys­i­cal sex­ual as­sault without sex­ual in­ter­course), as well as a count each un­der sec­tions 31(1)(a) and 31(1)(b) of the Chil­dren’s Act,” he told the NST.

Un­der Sec­tion 377C of the Pe­nal Code, the sus­pect is look­ing at a min­i­mum of five years jail for each count of sodomis­ing his daugh­ter without con­sent.

He is also li­able to whip­ping. For rap­ing his daugh­ter, the sus­pect can be pun­ished with a min­i­mum of eight years’ jail and no less than 10 strokes of the rotan.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.