Federation to look into Philippines’ withdrawal as host
THE Sea Games Federation (SEAGF) will deliberate on Aug 18 over the decision by the Philippines to unofficially withdraw from hosting the 2019 Sea Games edition.
However, Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) secretary general Datuk Low Beng Choo said the council will try to assist their Filipino counterparts in possibly hosting the biennial games.
Beng Choo revealed that the Philippines Olympic Council (POC) are still keen in hosting the biennial games and that they have yet to submit an official withdrawal letter.
“The Philippines government appears reluctant to host the games. However, we know they have the capability (to host) from a financial sense,” said Beng Choo.
“We believe the conflict in the country will not go on for too long. If they are given time to settle a few important issues, they could be able to pull off the games without any problems.
“We have been informed that POC have made an appeal to president (Rodrigo) Duterte about this issue and we hope they will be able to make a decision before the SEAGF meeting on Aug 18.”
POC had previously stated that they are withdrawing their role as hosts of the next Sea Games citing a lack of finances as well as issues with security due to the ongoing conflict in Marawi, Mindanao.
Beng Choo disclosed that the SEAGF flag will be handed over to SEAGF president Tunku Imran Tuanku Ja’afar at the closing ceremony of the Kuala Lumpur Sea Games in Bukit Jalil on Aug 30 if there is no confirmed host for the 2019 edition.
“If the Philippines are hosting the next games, then Malaysia will pass on the flag to them,” she added. Syafiq Aznan