Army of­fi­cer sur­vives crash that kills 2 friends

New Straits Times - - News / Nation -

SEREM­BAN: Army of­fi­cer Muham­mad Ad­lan Azlee, 23, sobbed as he watched the re­mains of his friends be­ing car­ried out of Tuanku Ja’afar Hos­pi­tal’s (TJH) Foren­sic Unit here.

Ad­lan is one of two sur­vivors of a car crash at Km267.2 of the North-South Ex­press­way early yes­ter­day.

The dead, iden­ti­fied as army of­fi­cers An­war Shaari, 23 and Amirul Zulkhairi Is­mail, 24, were his friends whom he met dur­ing army train­ing more than a year ago.

In be­tween sobs, Ad­lan said: “To wit­ness the death of my best friends, right in front of my eyes… It’s in­de­scrib­able… No words can de­scribe it.”

In the 2.32am crash, Ad­lan, An­war, Amirul and an­other friend, Zul­hilmi Hamid, 23, were trav­el­ling from Parit Bun­tar in Perak to Port Dick­son when the driver, Amirul, lost con­trol of the ve­hi­cle. Their car hit the guardrail on the left side of the road and fell into a drain.

The im­pact of the crash flung An­war, Amirul and Zul­hilmi out of the car, killing two of them in­stantly. Ad­lan sus­tained light in­juries, while Zul­hilmi broke an arm and suf­fered head in­juries.

“We were on a week-long hol­i­day af­ter com­plet­ing an army course in Port Dick­son re­cently. Since our home­towns are in the north, we de­cided to car­pool to re­turn to our camps,” Ad­lan said.

“An­war was based at the Port Dick­son camp, while the rest of us were at the Te­brau camp. We met up at my home­town in Parit Bun­tar be­fore start­ing our jour­ney about 10pm. I drove the car till Rawang, be­fore Amirul took over as I was tired and sleepy.”

Ad­lan said he was asleep when the ac­ci­dent hap­pened.

“I woke up feel­ing pain all over my body and saw my friends in the drain. I got out of the car and found An­war and Amirul dead. Zul­hilmi was badly in­jured.”

An­war and Amirul’s re­mains have been sent to their home­towns in Kuala Ku­rau, Perak, and Ba­lik Pu­lau, Pe­nang, for burial.

An­war’s adop­tive mother, Nor Al­ida Ah­mad, 45, said she last saw her son two weeks ago, be­fore he re­turned to his home­town.

“He asked me (whether he could) keep his stuff at my house in Port Dick­son dur­ing our last meet­ing. He said that it would be the last time he would ask me for help.

“Al­though (I thought his com­ment) was a bit strange, I ig­nored it, un­til I re­ceived news of his death to­day. That was prob­a­bly a sign that he would leave us for­ever.”

Serem­ban dis­trict po­lice deputy chief Su­per­in­ten­dent Sulizmie Af­fendy Sulaiman said the case was be­ing in­ves­ti­gated un­der Sec­tion 41 (1) of the Road Trans­port Act 1987.

(From left) Amirul Zulkhairi Is­mail and An­war Shaari

Muham­mad Ad­lan Azlee

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.