Green light for res­i­dents to re­con­struct long­houses af­ter sand-fill­ing — Wong

The Borneo Post - - HOME -

SIBU: Long­house folks who are about to build new long­houses in Tan­jong Pe­nasu and Pu­lau Kerto may go ahead with­out fear of get­ting hit by floods.

Sec­ond Fi­nance Min­is­ter Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh told res­i­dents of Rumah Michael Jalak in Tan­jong Pe­nasu and Rumah Charles Egat at Sun­gai Lang­gup, Pu­lau Kerto that their sites are cur­rently be­ing raised with sand.

“We’re rais­ing it above f lood level at a cost of RM250,000.

“The projects are car­ried out by the Public Works De­part­ment un­der the Ru­ral Trans­for­ma­tion Pro­gramme ( RTP) for Bawang As­san state con­stituency,” he told re­porters when in­spect­ing the progress of five RTP projects on Tues­day.

Wong said the two long­houses were de­stroyed by fire in two sep­a­rate in­ci­dents last year.

Rumah Michael Jalak was burnt down on July 12 while Rumah Charles Egat was razed on Aug 3.

Ac­cord­ing to Wong, when the sand- fill­ing work is com­pleted, the long­house res­i­dents can start to re­build their long­houses.

“They can ei­ther raise it or they can build it like ter­raced houses,” he said.

He later ap­pealed to long­house res­i­dents to be care­ful with fi re, par­tic­u­larly fam­i­lies with small chil­dren.

He said more of­ten than not, fire in­ci­dences start in the kitchen and some­times by chil­dren who play with fi re.

“I will also make sure ev­ery long­house in my area has at least one fi re ex­tin­guisher.

“Maybe later on, the United Peo­ple’s Party ( UPP) com­mu­nity ser­vice board may do some­thing like pro­vide hoses to long­houses that al­ready have fi re hy­drants,” he said.

Wong look­ing at the site of Rumah Michael Jalak that is be­ing filled with sand.

Wong con­vers­ing with Tuai Rumah Charles (right) and other long­house res­i­dents.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.