Check or re­place house wiring af­ter 15 years, build­ing own­ers ad­vised

The Borneo Post - - HOME -

SIBU: Own­ers of old build­ings are ad­vised to get the wiring re- eval­u­ated for pos­si­ble re­place­ment to en­able the use of more elec­tri­cal ap­pli­ances.

In giv­ing this ad­vice yes­ter­day, Sarawak Fire and Res­cue De­part­ment ( Bomba) di­rec­tor Nor Hisham Mo­ham­mad rea­soned that when elec­tri­cal ap­pli­ances such as air con­di­tion­ers, tele­vi­sion, and re­frig­er­a­tors run con­cur­rently, the wiring heats up as it could not ac­com­mo­date the large amount of cur­rent flow­ing through.

He said when it heats up, the rub­ber in­su­la­tion melts and all the wires come to­gether, trig­ger­ing a short- cir­cuit.

“Old wires also de­cay and the in­su­la­tor loses elas­tic­ity and be­comes more brit­tle,” Nor Hisham told The Bor­neo Post yes­ter­day.

“Sixty per cent of fire out­breaks in Sarawak mainly arise from switch board and wiring.”

Asked if there was a time­frame for house own­ers to have their wiring checked, Nor Hisham replied: “No spe­cific time be­cause wire tech­nol­ogy has im­proved a lot. Nev­er­the­less, af­ter 15 years, (it is) strongly ad­vised to do a full check of the wiring.”

“How­ever, if a premises fre­quently ex­pe­ri­ences power trip, the owner should call for an in­spec­tion.”

He has ob­served the down­ward trend of false calls to his de­part­ment.

“Last year, there were 16 false calls, down from 33 in 2015, whereas in 2014 there were 59 false calls.

“For the first three months of this year, there were only three false calls recorded,” Nor Hisham said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.