Taking it one step at a time
– That Gatorade cocktail will go down a lot easier if you chill it in the freezer for about 45 minutes. Check naturalfoods markets for other flavoured drinks that don’t contain red dyes. Roll again.
– That prep stuff doesn’t go down easy. If it makes you sick, wait 30 minutes before drinking more and take small sips. If you can’t keep it down, tell your doctor. Gulp, and move forward two.
– Carbonated drinks sodas and frozen desserts without dairy – ice pops popsicles and Italian ice – can trick your empty stomach into feeling full while you fast. Ask your doctor which ones you can have. “Liquid diet” doesn’t mean you have to stick with chicken broth, either. Try flavourful miso soup; just strain out the noodles and dried seaweed. Move forward one space.
“Feelin’ the burn now.”
– Yes, your fanny will pay a price. There’s no avoiding it. Skip the toilet paper and soothe your bum with disposable wet wipes you’ve chilled in the fridge. Ahhhhh. Vaseline, Desitin and Calmoseptine ointment, used for diaper rash, can soothe the sting, too. Double ahhhhh. Move forward two.
– Schedule a movie marathon (skip the popcorn), catch up on your favourite TV show on Netflix, snuggle with the dog. You can play Words With Friends or online trivia games such as Sporcle in the bathroom. (No one will know.) Move forward one space.
“I’m so done with this.”
– OK, OK. Your colon is clean now. Time for the procedure. Move ahead one.
“This wasn’t so hard.”
– A colonoscopy is typically done under general anaesthesia. Afterward, you might feel some cramping or the sensation of having gas, but it won’t last long. Move ahead one.
– You did it. And if you were smart, you took someone with you to drive you home. Spoil yourself with a nap, but make sure a family member or loved one is with you in case complications arise. — The Kansas City Star/McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
“Driver, the car!”
Sources: Mayo Clinic, American Cancer Society, Cleveland Clinic, FightColorectalCancer.org. and TheGreatBowelMovement.org.
The colon truck.