Two freed over jet en­gine theft

> Ex-RMAF sergeant, busi­ness­man also ac­quit­ted of money laun­der­ing charges

The Sun (Malaysia) - - NEWS WITHOUT BORDERS -

PUTRAJAYA: A for­mer Royal Malaysia Air Force (RMAF) sergeant and a busi­ness­man were freed by the ses­sions court here yes­ter­day on charges re­lat­ing to theft of two jet en­gines be­long­ing to the air force and money laun­der­ing.

Judge As­lam Zain­ud­din or­dered the two men to be re­leased af­ter find­ing that the pros­e­cu­tion had failed to prove a prima fa­cie case against N. Thar­men­dran and K. Ra­jan­dran Prasad on all the charges.

He ac­quit­ted and dis­charged the duo at the end of the pros­e­cu­tion’s case with­out or­der­ing them to en­ter their de­fence.

Thar­men­dran, 48, who now works as a driver to a com­pany direc­tor, was charged with con­spir­ing with se­nior air­man Mo­hamad Shukri Mo­hamad Yu­sop at the Subang RMAF Air Move­ment Sec­tion to steal two J8521-type en­gines from the Kuala Lumpur RMAF Ma­te­rial Pro­cess­ing Shed, MATRA 1 in Sun­gai Besi, Kuala Lumpur.

He al­legedly com­mit­ted the of­fence in De­cem­ber 2007.

Ra­jan­dran, 44, was ac­cused of as­sist­ing in the dis­posal of the two F-5 jet en­gines at 49, Jalan TS 6/6 Ta­man In­dus­tri Subang on April 30, 2008.

On money laun­der­ing, Thar­men­dran was charged with three counts of com­mit­ting the of­fence, in­volv­ing RM62,000, at Stan­dard Char­tered Bank Malaysia Ber­had in Subang Jaya, Se­lan­gor, on March 25, April 1 and April 28, 2008.

Ra­jan­dran was charged with five counts of money laun­der­ing, in­volv­ing RM437,319.50, and the of­fence was al­legedly com­mit­ted at HSBC Bank Malaysia Ber­had at Wisma UEP, USJ 10 Busi­ness Cen­tre in Subang Jaya, Se­lan­gor, between April 18 and June 10, 2008.

The pros­e­cu­tion called 54 wit­nesses to tes­tify in the trial which be­gan on July 22, 2011.

Thar­men­dran was rep­re­sented by coun­sel Ra­j­pal Singh, while Ra­jan­dran was rep­re­sented by lawyers Gobind Singh Deo and Hai­jan Omar.

Deputy pub­lic pros­e­cu­tors Muhd Il­mani Ah­mad and As­mah Musa pros­e­cuted. – Ber­nama

... A team from Pe­nang Health Depart­ment yes­ter­day is­sued a two-week clo­sure on a health cen­tre at the Tam­bun In­dah Busi­ness Cen­tre in Ni­bong Te­bal af­ter it was found that the med­i­cal prac­ti­tioner did not have a valid med­i­cal li­cence. Checks also showed that the premises was not registered with the depart­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.