No serious damage due to king tides
> Authorities ready to deal with flood situations
PETALING JAYA: The king tide phenomenon yesterday did not cause much damage to property, as had been expected.
Only Selangor saw 321 people from 74 families being evacuated to three relief centres following the phenomenon, which occurred from 3am until 5.40am, Bernama reported.
State Disaster Management Committee secretary Col Ahmad Afandi Mohamad said the three centres were Dewan Serbaguna, Kampung Tok Muda in Kapar and Dewan Sungai Air Tawar and Dewan Parit Baru in Sabak Bernam.
“This morning, the sea level rose to about the maximum height we had expected, which was around 5.6m to 5.7m. However, the situation has not posed a huge risk to the people.”
Water was reported to have risen at Pantai Batu 23, Sabak Bernam and Kampung Bagan, Sekinchan but the situation was not worrying. The sandbag bunds in Batu 5, Jalan Kapar were reported to be damaged, causing the water to spill over but there was no damage to property.
The district office and local authorities had earlier taken precautionary measures, including clearing drains, to avert flash floods.
In IPOH, five districts in the state were hit by floods due to the high tide, but no evacuations were ordered.
A statement from the state’s Disaster Management Committee secretariat said the areas are being monitored.
In PENANG, no flooding was reported. State Civil Defence Forces director Lt-Col Pang Ah Lek said his agency was monitoring the situation.
Meanwhile, the Negri Sembilan Civil Defence Force has frozen the leave of 25 officers until Thursday in view of the king tide phenomenon.
Suria Mohd Sahmi, 47, stands in ankle-deep water at her home in Kampung Sementa, Kapar in Klang, which was flooded due to the high tide phenomenon.