The Sun (Malaysia) - - FRONT PAGE - G. SURACH

PETALING JAYA: Ber­sih 2.0 c hai r man Maria Chin Ab­dul­lah, who was de­tained for 10 days un­der the Se­cu­rity Of­fences (Spe­cial Mea­sures) Act 2012 (Sosma), ex­pressed joy and re­lief over her sur­prise re­lease yes­ter­day.

She was f r e e d yest e r day af­ter­noon – a day be­fore a habeas cor­pus hear­ing chal­leng­ing her de­ten­tion was to be heard in the High Court to­day.

Maria Chin thanked her sup­port­ers and the pub­lic for cam­paign­ing for her re­lease.

“I had no idea how much was be­ing done to fight for my re­lease. From the bot­tom of my heart, I would like to thank all of you,” she said.

In­spec­tor-Gen­eral of Po­lice Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar told theSun she was taken to Bukit Aman where her pa­pers were pro­cessed and re­leased at 2.30pm.

Khalid de­clined to comment fur­ther.

Speak­ing to re­porters at her home, Maria Chin said de­spite her re­lease, she is con­sid­er­ing le­gal ac­tion against the au­thor­i­ties over her de­ten­tion.

“Fol­low­ing the de­nial of re­quests to see my fam­ily and lawyers dur­ing my de­ten­tion, I am con­sid­er­ing le­gal ac­tion for what I feel is il­le­gal de­ten­tion.

“When I was in de­ten­tion, I was be­ing kept in cir­cum­stances where I had nei­ther any idea of time nor di­rec­tion.

“It was meant to dis­ori­en­tate a per­son and it is very hu­mil­i­at­ing for any­one to go through it,” she said, adding that the room she was held in was kept lit 24 hours a day.

She said dur­ing her de­ten­tion, she was in­ter­ro­gated non-stop for hours on var­i­ous is­sues, in­clud­ing the Global Ber­sih move­ment, the Open Source Foun­da­tion (OSF), Ber­sih 2.0’s ac­counts and its so­cial me­dia man­age­ment.

“For the first three days, I was ques­tioned for al­most the en­tire day, which prob­a­bly be­gan at about 9am and ended af­ter 6pm,” she said.

“Af­ter the fourth day, the daily in­ter­ro­ga­tion be­came less ... to roughly about six hours,” said the 60-year-old mother of three.

She said de­spite her re­lease, the au­thor­i­ties are still in­ves­ti­gat­ing the case and that she could be called up again if nec­es­sary.

Last night, she went out to meet Ber­sih 2.0 sup­port­ers who had been hold­ing a can­dle­light vigil on the fringes of Dataran Merdeka over the week.

Maria Chin reached home at about 5pm and her three chil­dren – Azu­min Yunus, 22, Az­i­man Yunus, 21, and Azemi Yunus, 19 – rushed out to greet her.

They were all over­joyed and in tears to have their mother back home.

Many of her rel­a­tives and neigh­bours were also on hand to wel­come her home.

Po­lice had de­tained her on Nov 18 un­der Sec­tion 124C of the Pe­nal Code that crim­i­nalises at­tempts to com­mit ac­tiv­i­ties detri­men­tal to par­lia­men­tary democ­racy, and in­voked Sosma, which al­lows them to hold her with­out trial for up to 28 days.

From left: Azu­min, Maria Chin, Azemi and Az­i­man in front of their house af­ter the Ber­sih 2.0 chair­man was re­leased from de­ten­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.