Spir­ited Tarx­ien re­main on win­ning streak

Malta Independent - - SPORT -

Tarx­ien Rain­bows dis­sected Ham­run Spar­tans in a com­mand­ing sec­ond half dis­play, il­lu­mi­nated by fine goals from Alex Alves and Daniel Ponce. They now catch up with the Spar­tans on seven points each in the stand­ings.

Ham­run had their mo­ments, al­though their threat was spo­radic. They were too slow into most of the 50-50 chal­lenges and too laboured in their pass­ing.

They started with the same eleven who won against St Andrews in the week­end. That meant that Chris­tian Mal­dini was play­ing un­der the watch­ful eyes of his fa­ther Paolo, who was present at the Hiber­ni­ans Sta­dium yes­ter­day.

Tarx­ien had also won the pre­vi­ous game against Flo­ri­ana and made only one change from that start­ing line-up. Ebi­abowei Baker re­turned from sus­pen­sion and played in­stead of the sus­pended Ser­gio Pren­des.

Tarx­ien en­joyed more of pos­ses­sion and ma­nip­u­lated the ball bet­ter al­though they hardly se­verely tested the Spar­tans keeper David Cas­sar.

Tarx­ien threat­ened af­ter 12 min­utes as a Frances’ cor­ner was headed by Baker but the Ham­run de­fence man­aged to clear off the line into an­other cor­ner. Frances robbed Neto of pos­ses­sion but shot over from a dis­tance. A Baker ef­fort was blocked but Frances shot the re­bound over.

On the other end Garba lofted the ball from an ideal po­si­tion and mid­way through the half Giusti tested keeper Schranz with a pow­er­ful shot.

But it was still goal­less at half­time.

The pat­tern of the game did not change much in the sec­ond pe­riod.

Tarx­ien’s com­po­sure in­creased and a de­cent spell fol­lowed af­ter the in­ter­val. Im­me­di­ately Frances’ cross shot was palmed out by keeper Cas­sar. Nils­son’s header was blocked again by the Ham­run shot stop­per.

The Tarx­ien goal was in the air and it fol­lowed on 48 min­utes. Zam­mit was quick to re­cover the ball in mid­field, passed it to Ponce who put Alex Alves clear to ad­vance from the right and beat keeper Cas­sar.

Ham­run’s re­ac­tion came when Giusti ran down the left flank. His cross was met by Garba who headed wide.

Ham­run though kept strug­gling to get go­ing in mid­field and gave away pos­ses­sion too cheaply.

Tarx­ien were in firm con­trol and pun­ished them for the sec­ond time . On 66 min­utes Baker put Daniel Ponce through, the Ham­run goal­keeper rushed off his line but fum­bled the ball and the Tarx­ien player could only steer it into an empty goal.

Ham­run were left with noth­ing to lose. Mif­sud Tri­g­anza and Dar­ren Fal­zon were added into the fray. Garba’s fierce drive simmed the up­right and a Grech free kick was par­ried by keeper Schranz but Garba hit the loose ball wide.

Deep into five min­utes of added time, Jean Pierre Mif­sud Tri­g­anza headed a con­so­la­tion goal but that served for lit­tle pur­pose.

Alex da Paixao Alves (no.18) shoot­ing at goal in front of David Cas­sar Photo: Michael Camil­leri

Mi­lan leg­end Paolo Mal­dini (mid­dle left ) was at the Hiber­ni­ans Sta­dium watch­ing his son Chris­tian Photo: Michael Camil­leri

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malta

© PressReader. All rights reserved.