Busuttil tells ERA, OHSA to keep LNG tanker out of Marsaxlokk until safety reports are published
Opposition leader Simon Busuttil has written to the Occupational Health and Safety Authority and the Environment and Resources Authority insisting that the LNG tanker should be stopped from anchoring inside Marsaxlokk Bay before all the necessary safety and risk reports are published.
The Armada LNG Mediterrana – which is an integral part of the Electrogas LNG power plant – entered the bay for the first time on Monday morning before heading back out to sea to conduct further trials.
It is expected back in harbour later on this week. The tanker is highly controversial because the government has so far failed to publish environmental, safety and maritime risk reports. Minister without portfolio Konrad Mizzi said on Monday that all reports will be made public in the coming weeks and that there will be a public consultation exercise.
“In his letter to the OHSA and the ERA, Dr Busuttil referred to the Seveso III directive, which is part of Maltese law and makes it clear that the authorities should stop an entity from operating if measures for the prevention and mitigation of accidents are insufficient,” the PN said in a statement.
“This directive also makes it clear that information on risks should be handed out regularly to those who are subject to danger,” the PN said.