Draw keeps both sides near the bot­tom

Malta Independent - - SPORT -

Tarx­ien Rain­bows and Mosta took a point apiece yes­ter­day in a di­rect rel­e­ga­tion clash at the Vic­tor Tedesco Sta­dium.

Priso Dod­ing shot Mosta ahead in the first half, but sub­sti­tute Alex Nils­son ob­tained a de­served equaliser for Mosta in the sec­ond period.

The draw keeps both sides near the bot­tom end of the stand­ings with Tarx­ien mov­ing on to the 9 point mark and Mosta on to the 7 point mark.

It was a fair re­sult as nei­ther team dom­i­nated each other in a match in which both goal­keep­ers had a some­what quiet af­ter­noon.

The first half was bor­ing with ac­tions few and far be­tween.

Tarx­ien dic­tated play at the start and seemed to have an edge es­pe­cially in mid­field, but af­ter Mosta took the lead, it was Ivan Zam­mit’s side which cre­ated the few chances which were noted in the first half.

The Rain­bows tried to re­tal­i­ate, but Mosta’s de­fence was well or­gan­ised and goalie Bar­tolo was never tested se­ri­ously.

In the sec­ond half, play im­proved a lit­tle, but both goalies were rarely tested.

Both teams were strong at the back with both de­fences show­ing them­selves su­pe­rior to their re­spec­tive front lines on most oc­ca­sions.

Mosta threat­ened first on the 4th minute when Ke­mar David Reid went through on the left, but his an­gled shot passed across goal.

Tarx­ien’s re­ply ar­rived in the 10th minute. From a Frances cross, Zer­afa headed for­ward, but Baker’s ef­fort went well over the bar.

Soon af­ter, Ponce fol­lowed a long clear­ance from the de­fence, en­tered the area and un­leashed a hard shot which goalie Bar­tolo turned to cor­ner with dif­fi­culty.

Mosta took the lead in the 30th minute against the run of play when in a counter at­tack, it was Reid who set Priso Dod­ing who ad­vanced into the Tarx­ien area to hit past the on­rush­ing goalie Philip Schranz with the ball go­ing in via the up­right.

Tarx­ien re­tal­i­ated and in the 35th minute, it was Sacha Borg who at­tempted a long dis­tance shot which, how­ever, went wide.

Tarx­ien started the sec­ond half on at­tack in search of an equaliser, but it was Mosta who went close on the 53rd minute when Priso set Reid who ad­vanced into the area, only to shoot wide.

The Rain­bows scored a mer­ited equaliser in the 58th minute. Marcelina passed the ball for­ward to sub­sti­tute Alex Nils­son who stopped the ball on the edge of the area and hit home a fine over­head kick which completely beat goalie Bar­tolo.

On the hour, Mosta again went close, this time through a Reid free­kick which just missed the tar­get.

In an­other Tarx­ien at­tack, Nils­son set Tris­ton Caru­ana in the area, but his ef­fort went high over the bar.

Tarx­ien re­mained the bet­ter team but rarely proved to be dan­ger­ous up front, al­though in the 79th minute, sub­sti­tute Murga had a shot from 20 me­tres go­ing wide.

In added time, Tarx­ien again threat­ened to score the win­ner. From a Tris­ton Caru­ana free­kick, Sacha Borg saw his header go­ing just over the bar.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malta

© PressReader. All rights reserved.