Fireworks for Gudja secondary feast explode
A powerful fireworks explosion rocked Gudja yesterday afternoon but no one was hurt.
The explosion took place at 4.20pm.
It is understood that the explosion took place as fireworks were being prepared to be let off for the feast of the Madonna tac-Cintura.
This is the secondary feast of Gudja, as the main feast is that of the Ascension of Our Lady, celebrated on 15 August.
It is the second major accident to hit the area in a week. Last Monday, a plane carrying five Frenchman exploded soon after take-off, killing all five on board.
There are no reports of injuries, the police told The Malta Independent; four people are believed to have been in the area at the time of the explosion.
The police said that the necessary permits for the letting off of fireworks had been issued.
In a statement, the police said that the fireworks that exploded were stored in a container.
Hours after the explosion people who were on site were still in the vicinity with members of their families. They refused to speak to the media.
Readers who contacted The Malta Independent said that the blast broke windows of people living in the closest areas.
The explosion was heard from as far away as Mdina while a plume of black smoke was visible from many localities in the vicinity.
The police, the Civil Protection Department and the Armed Forces were on site to assess the damage.
Health Minister Chris Fearne tweeted that preliminary indications show that none of the people on site were injured. A helpline has been set up.
Mr Fearne as well as Home Affairs Minister Carmelo Abela were on site for a time. Mr Abela would not be drawn into giving comments to The Malta Independent.