PN condemns ‘Muscat government’ for trying to block Ombudsman’s investigations
Monday’s decision is a condemnation for Muscat’s government
The Nationalist Party yesterday condemned the “Muscat government” for attempting to block the Ombudsman from investigating promotions in the Armed Forces of Malta.
In a judgment given on Monday, the court of appeal confirmed that the Ombudsman has authority to investigate complaints by army officers.
The case had been instituted by former Ombudsman Joseph Said Pullicino against the Home Affairs Minister and permanent secretary.
In a statement issued by deputy leader Beppe Fenech Adami, the PN said the Ombudsman was constrained to file legal proceedings to be able to remove the obstacle put up by the government. Monday’s decision is a condemnation for Muscat’s government, the PN said.
Soon after taking power, the government embarked on an exercise to promote Labour stalwarts in the army, while ignoring others who deserved to advance.
The PN said that it will seek to rectify any injustices when elected.