Pem­broke move closer to leave bot­tom place

Malta Independent - - SPORT -

Pem­broke played their best match so far this sea­son to fin­ish the first round on a pos­i­tive note, win­ning their se­cond match of the sea­son and mov­ing close to leav­ing bot­tom place.

Three strikes in the first half – the first two from own goals and an­other from Mano Mi­callef – stunned Mosta, who are now only one point ahead of the same Pem­broke. Mosta are on eight points, while Pem­broke re­main bot­tom but with seven points.

Pem­broke were com­ing from a de­feat against Ham­run in their pre­vi­ous match, while Mosta had drawn against Sliema.

It was a very en­ter­tain­ing match as the ball went from one side to an­other in quick suc­ces­sion with scor­ing chances ga­lore at both ends.

Bot­tom-placed Pem­broke showed much more de­ter­mi­na­tion than usual as they ap­peared anx­ious to ob­tain their se­cond win of the sea­son in an ef­fort to get mov­ing away from the bot­tom of the stand­ings.

In the first half they were a su­pe­rior out­fit, even if they had to rely on two own goals to take full con­trol be­fore adding a third for good mea­sure be­fore the end of the first half.

Mosta were found want­ing at the back, although I would be the first to say that they were very un­lucky to have suf­fered those two own goals which gave Pem­broke the con­fi­dence to take con­trol of the match.

Up front, Priso and new­comer Bradley Meledje tried hard to get their team back in con­tention, but the Pem­broke de­fence never yielded an inch.

In the se­cond half, Mosta were in difficulty as Pem­broke re­mained on top. The Blues, in fact, never man­aged a se­ri­ous ef­fort to­wards the Pem­broke goal.

At the end, Pem­broke were wor­thy win­ners and they now look for­ward with op­ti­mism to­wards a bet­ter fu­ture.

Pem­broke started the match on at­tack and in the first minute Manevski Borche sped past goalie Calleja Cre­mona in the area, but his fi­nal ef­fort was blocked to a corner by a Mosta de­fender.

In the 6th minute, Bar­betti set Shodiya on the edge of the area, but the lat­ter’s ef­fort went just over.

Mosta replied with a fine move in the 7th minute. From a Bezak cross, goalie Calleja Cre­mona punched out, but Dex­ter Xuereb’s goal­bound ef­fort was cleared from near the goalline by Mano Mi­callef.

In the 11th minute, Martin set Priso on the left. The lat­ter ad­vanced into the Pem­broke area, but his shot passed across goal.

Pem­broke took the lead on the 14th minute. Shodiya set Bernardo who passed the ball to Manevski Borche. The lat­ter’s cross hit Emer­son Vella and ended at the back of the net.

In the 27th minute, Bar­betti set Mar­i­ano Bernardo whose ef­fort was kicked out by goalie Yenz Cini.

In the 35th minute, Pem­broke added a se­cond goal – an­other own goal. From a Bernardo cross, it was Luca Martinelli who lobbed over his own goal­keeper and into the net.

Mosta re­tal­i­ated, but a Priso shot was well saved by Calleja Cre­mona.

But they were shocked again in the 42nd minute as Pem­broke added a third goal. It was Shodiya who set Mano Mi­callef for the lat­ter to beat goalie Cini with a grounder.

In the 61st minute, Asani Djeljilj set Si­raj Arab in the Mosta area, but goalie Cini saved his weak ef­fort in two at­tempts.

In the 71st minute, Mano Mi­callef saved the Pem­broke fort as he cleared from over the line a Priso ef­fort.

In the 75th minute, sub­sti­tute Vl­cek also tried his luck with a shot from the edge of the area, but his ef­fort went over.

Si­raj Arab missed a glo­ri­ous chance to add an­other for Pem­broke on the 82nd minute as he ad­vanced un­hin­dered from mid­field only to see his lob be­ing saved by Cini.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malta

© PressReader. All rights reserved.