McKay shoots Saints to health­ier plac­ing

Malta Independent - - SPORT -

St An­drews re­mained in eighth place in the stand­ings yes­ter­day de­spite a nar­row 1-0 win against rel­e­ga­tion-haunted fel­lows Gzira United.

But the three points served them in good stead as they now have 13 points and are cer­tainly in a health­ier po­si­tion. On the other hand, Gzira re­main on nine points.

St An­drews were def­i­nitely the bet­ter team in the first half and they de­served their slen­der 1-0 lead.

The Saints were more de­ter­mined than their op­po­nents and cre­ated the best of the very few chances dur­ing a rather bor­ing open­ing 45 min­utes.

Ac­tions in front of goal were few and far be­tween and Gzira were re­stricted to just two ef­forts, one of which went well over the post.

The Ma­roons were lack­ing in ideas and they never re­ally trou­bled goalie Galea ex­cept on one oc­ca­sion, soon af­ter the start.

It was only in the fi­nal ten min­utes of the se­cond half, that they pressed hard in search of an equaliser, but it never ma­te­ri­alised as they found a res­o­lute Saints’ de­fence fac­ing them.

Gzira had a good chance to take the lead on the 8th minute when off a Ledesma cross, it was Machedo Neto who tested goalie Jake Galea with a good header, but the Saints goalie dived side­ways to save.

In the 19th minute, from an­other Ledesma free­kick, first Di­amoutene and then Machedo Neto failed to make con­tact in front of goalie Jake Galea.

St An­drews took the lead in their first real foray in the 21st minute. From a cross by Zika Kas­trevec, it was God­win McKay who flicked the ball past Jur­gen Borg.

St An­drews re­mained in con­trol of mid­field and in the 37th minute, it was Dale Camil­leri who tested Borg, but the Gzira goalie saved on deck.

Early in the se­cond half, Jur­gen Borg was called upon to save a dan­ger­ous 20-me­tre drive from God­win McKay.

The Saints al­most added a se­cond goal on the hour when a Far­ru­gia fine free­kick just missed the far post with goalie Borg beaten.

On the 68th minute, Gzira goalie Borg rushed out of his charge and dived at the feet of Nwoko to avoid an awk­ward sit­u­a­tion.

In the 77th minute, Gzira threat­ened through a Moises Avila Perez header, but goalie Galea was well po­si­tioned to save.

Soon af­ter, at the other end, new­comer Ne­nad Belace­vic fired a hard shot from 20 me­tres, but Borg saved well.

In added time, as Gzira went all out in search of an equaliser, Ja­cob Borg headed over the bar fol­low­ing a Ledesma cross.

And just be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle, Gzira were awarded a free­kick out­side the area, but Ledesma’s ef­fort went just wide.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malta

© PressReader. All rights reserved.