Barbecue chicken with Persian rice salad
300g basmati rice
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
8 small chicken thigh fillets
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
8 dried apricots, thinly sliced
35g pistachio kernels, chopped
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
140g Greek-style yoghurt
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 small garlic clove, crushed
1. Place the rice, half the turmeric and 2 1/4 cups (560ml) water in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low. Cover and simmer for 10 mins or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside, covered, for 2 mins. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, place chicken in a glass or ceramic dish. Combine oil, cumin and remaining turmeric in a bowl. Drizzle over chicken. Season. Toss to coat.
3. Heat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Cook chicken for 4-5 mins each side or until cooked through.
4. Add currants, apricot, pistachio and pine nuts to the rice. Season. Stir until well combined. Combine yoghurt, mint, garlic and 1 tbs water in a bowl. Season.
5. Divide the rice salad and chicken among serving plates. Serve with the yoghurt mixture.
Prep Time 15 Min Cook Time 10 Min Ready in 25 Min Serves 4