PICK OF THE BUNCH
1. Funky fun 2015 VILLA MARIA R&D MARLBOROUGH SAUVIGNON BLANC ‘ON SKINS’ $25
Winemaker Helen Morrison has created a quirky “hands off/ natural wine” that is textural and spicy, a touch familiar with a dash of the wild.
2. Pinot power 2014 MOUNT EDWARD CENTRAL OTAGO PINOT NOIR $45
The winemaking partnership of Duncan Forsyth and Anna Riederer is a lot like their wines, with plenty of intelligence, character and charm. Try this concentrated, well-structured, silky and fresh wine with an Asian-spiced duck salad.
3. Good gris 2016 JULES TAYLOR MARLBOROUGH PINOT GRIS $20
Talented Blenheim-native Jules Taylor has been crafting intensely flavoured wines since 2001. Her pinot gris is a bright, succulent style bursting with red apple and stonefruit and a touch of baking spices.
4. Super syrah 2015 CYPRESS WINES HAWKE’S BAY SYRAH $26
Mel and Gus Lawson farm a small hillside vineyard, making, amongst other wines, two elegant syrahs. This is the entrylevel wine; nicely concentrated with red berryfruit, dark plums, lavender and spice notes and fine tannins. Great with lamb.
5. Chardonnay charm 2015 ATA RANGI ‘PETRIE’ MARTINBOROUGH CHARDONNAY $28
Made by Helen Masters, this is a seriously delicious, beautifully balanced wine with fine citrus and white peach supported by nut, oatmeal and mineral notes. Great now, and will definitely reward patience.