Vik­ings and Saints in fran­tic ac­tion


Central Leader - - SPORT -

The fi­nal round of rugby league’s Ap­pli­ance Shed Fox Me­mo­rial kicked off with seven teams with some­thing to play for but it marked the end of the line this sea­son for the Bay Roskill Vik­ings and the Marist Saints.

A fran­tic fin­ish in the Marist Saints’ clash with the Northcote Tigers saw them win 28-20 af­ter a last-sec­ond try right on the hooter.

The Tigers were look­ing to come­back from their loss to Bay Roskill last week and found them­selves up 14-0 go­ing into half­time.

It took un­til the 47th minute for Marist to fi­nally crack the Northcote de­fence, Tom Kava­liku cross­ing near the posts giv­ing Si­mon Ieremia an easy con­ver­sion.

Kava­liku was in­volved again when the Saints crossed for their sec­ond through hard run­ning cen­tre Josh Tafili.

A miss to Ieremia had the Tigers still up 14-10 but it was game-on.

Marist re­ally seemed to have hit their straps and with just 10 min­utes re­main­ing hit the lead through Misi Ma’u.

With three min­utes to go the Tigers scored out­wide to bring it back to within two points but the Saints went in again right on the hooter to take out the game.

Af­ter grab­bing a valu­able win against the Tigers last Satur­day, the Bay Roskill Vik­ings were look­ing to go two from two this week, some­thing they have not been able to do this year.

But what stood in front of them was a Glenora Bears pack look­ing to de­fend the newly re­gained Kon­ica Mi­nolta Roope Rooster.

A great start to Tee Mahe and his Glenora Bears saw him cross for an early dou­ble.

In the engine room Kyle Bahn crossed to hand the Bears a sig­nif­i­cant 18-0 lead only a quar­ter of the way through the game.

The Vik­ings hit back with a try to Reece Ta­masi af­ter great build-up work by Dale Maher and young Jonathon Wea had the Bears backpedalling fast.

Ta­masi re­ceived a pass out wide and went in un­touched.

But it was the Bears who fin­ished the half with the last points when James Tau­mate went in to put them out to a healthy 28-6 lead at the break.

With both teams en­ter­ing into their fi­nal 40 min­utes of the 2013 sea­son it was all or noth­ing and for Bay Roskill rel­e­ga­tion was on the line.

It was Glenora who man­aged to score first again, Aaron Booth set­ting up Ju­nior Fotu who went in out wide un­der a swarm of de­fend­ers.

A cou­ple of Bay Roskill con­so­la­tion tries gave their fans some­thing to cheer about but in the end an­other 50 points were put on the Vik­ings by the Bears and they went down 52-16.


Fi­nal kick-off: The Marist Saints fin­ished off their 2013 sea­son with a win against the Northcote Tigers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.