The Block moves into town
Two derelict houses have landed on a muddy section in Sandringham, heralding the imminent arrival of TV show The Block NZ’s fourth season.
Two wooden bungalows were brought on to the site on June 5, with another two expected to arrive soon.
One was a cream and blue bungalow that had clearly seen better days, though it did have an ornate glass window in its front door.
The second property – a white wooden abode – arrived in two large sections.
The site on the corner of Haig Ave and Renfrew Ave attracted the attention of curious residents, with many slowing down to take a peek.
The third season of The Block, filmed in Pt Chevalier last year, drew a raft complaints to the council.
However those spoken to on Friday were relaxed about their new neighbours.
‘‘We’re far enough away for it not to be a major concern, so for us it’s exciting,’’ resident Clare Hilsz says.
‘‘As an avid viewer I’ll be down a fair bit.’’
Hilsz says some direct neighbours might be concerned about the large trucks on the street.
However a direct neighbour, Andrea, says she has no concerns.
‘‘They’ve kept us fully informed and I’m really happy. It might be loud at times but it’s only for a short time.’’
Residents Jenny and Dave Poole also said they were not worried by the prospect of the high-profile series coming to their street. ‘‘It’s been no problem at all.’’ The 773 square metre section was recently sold through Barfoot & Thompson and had a house which has since been knocked down. Its most recent land value was assessed at $950,000.
The third season late last year in Pt Chevalier was won by Alex and Corban Walls with an auction profit of $307,000.
Houses are moved on to a Sandringham section for the next series of The Block NZ.