Doggy de­tec­tive finds Ri­ley

Central Leader - - FRONT PAGE - CA­TRIN OWEN

Hid­den away in an over­grown back­yard, lit­tle Ri­ley lay for five days bat­tered, bruised and un­able to move.

This was be­fore another four­legged friend came to save her.

Ri­ley made an ad­ven­tur­ous es­cape from her Three Kings home on Au­gust 24, scal­ing a wall and was then on the loose.

The timid six-month-old ridge­back-labrador cross was then seen be­ing hit by a car on Mt Eden Rd around 2.30pm the same day. But after that there were no more sight­ings.

A young woman named Amy wit­nessed Ri­ley be­ing hit and stopped to try and help her as the driver drove off.

‘‘Amy gave us in­valu­able in­for­ma­tion about the di­rec­tion Ri­ley ran in so we were able to con­cen­trate our ef­forts on [Three Kings] quarry and Big King [re­serve], with huge sup­port from lo­cals and work­ers in the area,’’ Ri­ley’s grandma Chrissie Wright says.

For five days, the Wright fam­ily searched the sur­round­ing ar­eas, Chrissie even posted on Neigh­ and printed out posters.

After days with­out news they were be­gin­ning to fear the worst.

Ela­tion came on Mon­day morn­ing when Chrissie re­ceived a phone call from Sue Nair.

‘‘A lovely lady was walk­ing in Big King Re­serve and her dog Dud­ley drew her at­ten­tion to the back of some­one’s prop­erty,’’ Chrissie says.

Nair had been walk­ing her labrador Dud­ley as she does ev­ery morn­ing and had done their first loop.

‘‘Dud­ley went down to the fence and wouldn’t come back when I called him,’’ Nair says.

‘‘He wouldn’t move, he kept cry­ing and went back to the fence and then just sat down even though I was pulling his col­lar.’’

Nair then saw two bright eyes pok­ing out and recog­nised Ri­ley from the posters dot­ted around.

With help from another cou­ple nearby, Nair man­aged to call Chrissie and alert her they’d found Ri­ley.

‘‘She was a lot thin­ner, re­ally de­hy­drated and in a lot of shock,’’ Chrissie says.

‘‘She’d been lick­ing her own wounds and bone and ten­dons were vis­i­ble from where she’d been run over.’’

Ri­ley went straight to the vet surgery and she’s now on the mend.

The Wright fam­ily want to thank the com­mu­nity for all their help in find­ing their beloved pooch.


Ri­ley was miss­ing for five days, she’s pic­tured here be­ing car­ried out by her Un­cle Mar­cus.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.