Vandals target reserve
A small Auckland reserve has become a hot spot for late night drinking sessions of up to 100 people, despite a liquor ban being in place.
Mt Wellington’s Bertrand Reserve has been the target of vandalism for the past six months, leaving residents and local business owners feeling unsafe.
Residents are faced with large amounts of broken glass bottles, rubbish and scorched ground from bonfires following frequent Friday and Saturday night parties in the park.
A nearby business owner, who wanted to be known only as Frans, said the park was being destroyed and it was spilling into the neighbouring business area.
He said the problem would only get worse unless action was taken.
‘‘I have to spend thousands of dollars on security to protect my business area.’’
Auckland Council’s head of operational management and maintenance Agnes McCormack said there had been issues with discarded bottles in the reserve.
The liquor ban which covers the reserve had been in place since October 2015, from 10pm to 7am during daylight saving and 7pm to 7am outside daylight saving.
McCormack said the reserve underwent weekly site servicing, but council would look at increasing the frequency and level of the servicing.
Frans, who owns a business near Bertrand Reserve, says he’s beefed up security due to drinking in the park.