Toxic shellfish warning at the Port
If you were planning on gathering kaimoana on the west Waikato coast this week, think again.
Paralytic toxins in shellfish there are above safe levels, and can cause difficulty swallowing or breathing, nausea, or paralysis and respiratory failure.
A Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) warning issued on Friday stretches from Port Waikato down to Papanui Point, just south of Raglan Harbour.
Raglan Harbour is included under the warning.
Paralytic shellfish toxins aren’t killed by cooking the shellfish, an MPI statement said.
The warning affects mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, catseyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish.
But, if the gut is completely removed before cooking, it is still safe to eat paua, crab and crayfish.
If they are cooked with the gut in, the meat can be contaminated during cooking.
The symptoms of paralytic shellfish poisoning include numbness and tingling around the mouth, face, hands, and feet, MPI said.
They can also include difficulty swallowing or breathing, nausea, or paralysis and respiratory failure. Symptoms generally appear between 10 minutes and three hours after the shellfish have been eaten.
There will be ongoing testing of shellfish, MPI said, and updates on any changes.
If someone gets sick after eating shellfish from the area covered by the warning, MPI advises to seek medical attention immediately.
They should also advise the nearest public health unit and
From chemicals called the saxitoxins and gonyautoxins. Symptoms: Typically appear 10 minutes to 3 hours after ingestion. Symptoms may include numbness and a tingling (prickly feeling) around the mouth, face, and extremities (hands and feet), difficulty swallowing or breathing, dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, paralysis and respiratory failure and in severe cases, death. Source: MPI keep any leftover shellfish for testing.