Arrests follow Canopies brawl
Police are vowing to make more arrests after a fight involving more than 30 people at Porirua’s Saturday morning market.
At about 3am on November 16, a woman was asked for money and when she refused, was assaulted.
Two people intervened to stop the incident and more than 30 people then became involved in an assault on the duo.
Police were called and two arrests were made for fighting.
One teenager, who had gone to the woman’s aid, is in hospital with a broken nose and a fractured eye socket after being blind-sided, his father, Te Mako Orzecki, said.
He did not want to comment further, preferring to let police deal with the matter.
His posting on the Porirua Facebook page about the incident has had 450 comments, most damning the actions of a few whohad given the Canopies more bad press.
Kapiti Mana Police area commander detective inspector Paul Basham said crime in Porirua’s city centre had been trending down, so what occurred was disappointing’’.
There was an incident ‘‘ of this nature’’ about eight weeks but there had a significant downturn in the past 12 months.
‘‘We have increased our presence in the last three or four months in the CBD [at night] with patrols, including at 2am and 3am, and it’s had a very, very positive effect on disorder.
‘‘The crime rates are down significantly. We’re disappointed with what happened and will pursue it robustly.
‘‘We hold a dim view of this sort of behaviour, so people will be held accountable.’’
Porirua mayor Nick Leggett said people deserved to be safe anywhere in their city.
He gave a nod to the increased police presence and the reported crime falling, ‘‘but unfortunately it’s ruined by one occurrence of unthinking people’’.
Mr Basham said two detectives had been assigned to the case.
He was confident more arrests would be made because CCTV footage was being checked.