Bowlers Wharf work uncovered
Harbourview Rest Home staff had a peep at Porirua’s distant history on June 12.
They uncovered the historic earthworks of the Bowlers Wharf causeway that was built in 1844 and is one of the only significant historic sites in the Porirua basin that has been unseen for many years.
The rest home, in conjunction with Porirua Conservation Volunteers and Porirua City Council, has exposed the causeway so the public can have a look at part of Porirua’s history and also to keep the area well maintained for the local wildlife.
Bowlers Wharf is named after William Bowler, the first European settler at Papakowhai.
He built a jetty as well as establishing a trading store. The jetty was damaged in an earthquake in 1848 and effectively demolished in another in 1855.
From left, Gail Smith, Daniel Fearon and Shane Whaanga from Harbourview Rest Home, Mana MP Kris Faafoi and his assistant James Baigent at the site of Bowlers Wharf.