Sec­ond­half a win­ner for Wests


The Cen­tral League sea­son has taken an­other event­ful turn with Mi­ra­mar Rangers get­ting the bet­ter of Napier City Rovers on Sun­day.

Wests have also kept them­selves in touch with the lead­ers, af­ter de­feat­ing Stop Out 3-1 in ter­ri­ble con­di­tions at Hutt Park.

At the soggy Lower Hutt ground, Stop Out and Wests strug­gled through a fairly un­event­ful first half with the only goal com­ing from An­drew Abba, as he was left un­marked out­side the box and crossed it on the an­gle past the Wests keeper.

The half­time talk from Wests coach De­clan Edge must have hit the mark as the team dom­i­nated the se­cond half scor­ing three unan­swered goals, two to Owen Parker-Price and one from Dal­ton Wilkins to win 3-1.

Their next game is Fri­day night at Ole Academy against Pe­tone, who caused a 3-1 up­set yes­ter­day against Wairarapa United with their first win of the sea­son.

Mi­ra­mar fol­lowed their ex­tra time win over Napier in the Chatham Cup on June 26 with an­other late win at Park Is­land in Napier this week­end.

The home side took a 1-0 lead into the break, scored by Tom Biss. He went from hero to villain when he was sent off for a late chal­lenge in the 55th minute.

Sub­sti­tute Niko Kir­wan had only been on the park two min­utes when he equalised for Mi­ra­mar with 20 min­utes to play.

Mi­ra­mar striker Ben Har­ris then had his penalty saved by Napier goal­keeper Ruben Parker in the 81st-minute, but he proved the hero when fir­ing home the win­ner eight min­utes later.

It sets up a tan­ta­lis­ing clash be­tween Mi­ra­mar and Olympic next Satur­day, with Mi­ra­mar seven points be­hind with one game in hand over the league lead­ers.

Mi­ra­mar’s win helped Olympic in their quest for the Cen­tral League ti­tle.

Their com­pre­hen­sive 7-2 vic­tory over Palmerston North Marist at Wakefield Park on Satur­day giv­ing them a five-point buf­fer over Napier and Stop Out, al­though Napier has a game in hand on the other two sides.

In Satur­day’s late game, Lower Hutt faced Welling­ton United in truly aw­ful con­di­tions at Fraser Park.

Lower Hutt were able to over­come the gale winds and hor­i­zon­tal rain to win 2-0 in the tightly con­tested match.

Western Suburbs goal­keeper punches the ball clear at a soggy Hutt Park in Wests 3-1 win over Stop Out

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.