Marist St Pat’s v Tawa for ti­tle


Marist St Pats will be in pur­suit of their 15th Ju­bilee Cup ti­tle, when they meet Tawa in Satur­day’s fi­nal at Porirua Park.

The Red Ma­chine qual­i­fied courtesy of a com­pre­hen­sive 24-3 win over Ori­en­tal-Ron­go­tai and must be favourites to do sim­i­lar in the de­cider.

Tawa, Ju­bilee Cup win­ners just once be­fore, stand in their way af­ter pre­vail­ing 16-10 over Wainuiomata in the other semi.

That was a far more even af­fair, with Tawa do­ing fan­tas­ti­cally well to emerge vic­to­ri­ous.

Down in the Hard­ham Cup, top-qual­if­ers Hutt Old Boys Marist thrashed Pare­mataPlim­mer­ton 43-6, be­fore Pe­tone pre­vailed 39-30 over North­ern United in ex­tra time af­ter the teams ended reg­u­lar time level on 25-all.

At Lyn­d­hurst Park, Wainuiomata were left ru­ing a cru­cial mis­take that gifted Tawa their only try and a lead they would not re­lin­quish in an in­tense semi­fi­nal.

Wainui struck early when sec­ond five-eighth Isa­iah Mamea found a gap­ing hole be­fore of­fload­ing to cen­tre Michael Lealava’a to score un­der the posts.

Tawa full­back Ran­dall Bishop kicked two penal­ties to nar­row the gap be­fore Wainui flanker Matt Ja­cobs re­sponded to open up a 10-6 ad­van­tage.

With half­time ap­proach­ing a loose Wainui pass was gath­ered by Tawa’s replacement wing Eli­jah Vaa Brook­ing who raced 60 me­tres un­touched to give Tawa a sur­pris­ing 13-10 half­time lead.

Wainui con­tin­ued to at­tack around the fringes in the sec­ond half and man­aged to get within strik­ing dis­tance a cou­ple of times, but were re­pelled by des­per­ate Tawa de­fence.

With 10 min­utes left Bishop kicked his third penalty for Tawa and they held on as Wainui threw ev­ery­thing at them over the dy­ing stages.

In dif­fi­cult con­di­tions at Evans Bay Park, it was Marist St Pats that got out to the bet­ter of starts, find­ing them­selves in Ori­en­talRon­go­tai’s ter­ri­tory for most of the first half and the hosts went into the break up 8-0.

Ories were the first to score in the sec­ond 40 with the goal­kick­ing hooker Joey Mears slot­ting a close-range penalty goal.

But MSP ruled the sec­ond half and were duly re­warded as they crossed for another two tries, book­ing a spot in their sec­ond straight Ju­bilee Cup fi­nal.

De­fence was the key to Marist St Pats’ Ju­bilee Cup semi­fi­nal win over Ori­en­tal-Ron­go­tai.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.