First his wake, now Ken has his wed­ding


Time is not on Ken Turner’s side, but he’s de­ter­mined to make the most of what’s left.

Af­ter host­ing his own ‘‘liv­ing wake’’ two weeks ear­lier, the 52-year-old Porirua man mar­ried part­ner Sarah An­gus in Up­per Hutt re­cently.

Af­ter a brief hon­ey­moon in Mart­in­bor­ough, he will get back to work plan­ning his fu­neral.

Turner learned only re­cently that he had ter­mi­nal cancer and had only a few pre­cious weeks to live.

Ini­tially the cou­ple, who have lived to­gether for more than a year, planned to marry next year, but had to bring the big day for­ward.

They held the cer­e­mony at their home, with about 45 guests.

‘‘I was ec­static, I had a great day,’’ Turner said.

‘‘I stood for the whole cer­e­mony and I find it hard stand­ing up a lot of the time.

‘‘I was up at five in the morn­ing and didn’t go to bed till 10pm, and I feel so good to­day. They ob­vi­ously got my med­i­ca­tion right.’’

A bour­bon drinker nor­mally, Turner had a few beers ‘‘and then went on the cham­pagne and stayed on that’’.

‘‘There were a lot of tears, but it was a real pos­i­tive ex­pe­ri­ence.

‘‘The whole chap­ter of my mo­tor­bike group was here, my dad was here, and it went off great. And not even one glass was bro­ken.’’

The cer­e­mony was led by a cel­e­brant from the God’s Squad Chris­tian Mo­tor­cy­cle Club, and fea­tured Turner’s Har­leyDavid­son in pride of place be­hind the happy cou­ple.

The big day fol­lowed his ‘‘liv­ing wake’’ a fort­night ear­lier.

‘‘Now it’s all about the or­gan­is­ing the fu­neral,’’ he said.

He has al­ready cho­sen a cas­ket, which he will have dec­o­rated in Har­ley-David­son sym­bols.

‘‘I’m lucky in that I’m in a po­si­tion where I can plan it, like I was able to with the wake.

‘‘I want peo­ple to know they can do th­ese things.

‘‘I fell blessed with that. I feel like I’ve been pat­ted on the back.

‘‘And I don’t look at it as the end, I’m look­ing at it as a tran­si­tion, as my mak­ing my move to my next level.’’

An­gus said Satur­day had been an amaz­ing day.

‘‘I had a lit­tle bit of stress, but ev­ery­one helped out and I couldn’t have asked for more.

‘‘And Ken was just on a high.’’

Sarah and Ken Turner af­ter their home wed­ding.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.