Hunter con­victed

Marlborough Express - - MARLBOROUGH LIVE -

Amem­ber of a hunt­ing club that pro­motes gun safety has been caught poach­ing while in­tox­i­cated. Builder Fer­gu­son Michael James Shaw, 26, was on a hunt­ing trip with two friends, in­clud­ing Blen­heim meat in­spec­tor Joshua Mar­tin Svens­son, in Marl­bor­ough on Au­gust 12. Shaw was a mem­ber of the New Zealand Deer­stalk­ers As­so­ci­a­tion, which pro­moted safe, re­spon­si­ble use of firearms and a code of ethics for hun­ters. They were driv­ing down Awa­tere Val­ley Rd, about 70 kilo­me­tres south­west of Blen­heim, when they spot­ted two red deer in a pad­dock about mid­night, a po­lice sum­mary said. The men got out of the ve­hi­cle. They were pulling the deer out of the pad­dock when the farmer who owned the prop­erty ap­peared. His house was nearby and he heard the shots, and came out to in­ves­ti­gate. A third man bolted into some bushes. The the farmer sought repa­ra­tion. Shaw farmer called the po­lice and spoke to and Svens­son ad­mit­ted poach­ing at Shaw and Svens­son, who agreed to the Blen­heim District Court on wait un­til po­lice ar­rived. Po­lice Mon­day. Shaw also ad­mit­ted us­ing a con­fis­cated Shaw’s .270 ri­fle, some¯O firearm while in­tox­i­cated. His lawyer hunt­ing knives, am­mu­ni­tion and Bry­ony Mil­lar said Shaw was "deeply head­lamps. Shaw gave a breath test re­morse­ful". "He is usu­ally very read­ing be­tween 250 and 400 re­spon­si­ble," Mil­lar said. "He ac­cepts mi­cro­grams of al­co­hol per litre of there is no jus­ti­fi­ca­tion for what he breath. It is il­le­gal to hunt while did and he apol­o­gises." Shaw gained in­tox­i­cated. Shaw told po­lice he did his firearms li­cence three years ago. not know the deer were on pri­vate He knew he would lose his li­cence, prop­erty, and did not no­tice their ear and did not ob­ject to the for­fei­ture of tags. Po­lice sought the for­fei­ture of his ri­fle, worth $800, Mil­lar said. He the ri­fle¯andOhunt­ing equip­ment, and pre­ferred to pay a fine in­stead of com­mu­nity work, she said. Af­ter credit for guilty pleas and his of­fer of repa­ra­tion, Judge David Ruth con­victed Shaw and or­dered him to pay $600 in repa­ra­tion to the farmer within a month. He was fined $500 and his ri­fle and hunt­ing equip­ment was for­feited to po­lice. Judge Ruth said he ac­cepted Shaw was "an en­thu­si­ast" who had let him­self down. "Hunt­ing while in­tox­i­cated is not a good look at all." Svens­son was con­victed and fined $300, and would also con­trib­ute $600 in repa­ra­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.