Claim on gas in­crease

Matamata Chronicle - - Rural Delivery -

Farm­ers could get any­thing from $500 to $1500 per year back in tax re­bates on any petrol used for com­mer­cial use which was not on the road, Coop­erAitken ac­coun­tants as­so­ciate Co­ral Phillips says. This in­cluded the re­cent 3 cent rise of the 66 cents per litre that the govern­ment re­ceived in taxes from petrol.

‘‘Our farm­ers use a lot of petrol in quad bikes and two- wheel­ers which never go on the road,’’ she said. ‘‘Petrol in ma­chin­ery such as chain­saws, gen­er­a­tors and the old Fergy tractor can also qual­ify.’’

Other busi­nesses can make sim­i­lar claims such as for lawn mow­ers used on golf cour­ses. ‘‘It can be sur­pris­ing how much fuel is ac­tu­ally used in mo­tor­bikes dur­ing a year, and how much the quar­terly re­bate ac­tu­ally amounts to.’’

The ap­pli­ca­tion needed to be made to the NZ Trans­port Agency on the MR70 form which was ac­ces­si­ble on their web­site Ap­pli­ca­tions were made quar­terly although they can be back­dated two years re­sult­ing in a 10 per cent penalty.

Copies of in­voices to show proof of pur­chase are re­quired, along with a sum­mary of the ve­hi­cles which use the fuel.

The tax on petrol which is called ‘‘Fuel Ex­cise Duty’’ is a charge to users to help con­trib­ute to our roading in­fra­struc­ture costs in New Zealand.

Some of the 66 cents charges.

in­cluded ACC

Co­ral Phillips

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.