Otago Daily Times
Five cases found, all in isolation
Historic breaches come to light
WELLINGTON: There were five new cases of Covid19 in managed isolation and no new community cases in New Zealand yesterday.
In a statement, the Ministry of Health said three of the new cases were from the fishing crew at the Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport, which brings the total number of isolating crew members who have returned positive tests to 32.
Meanwhile, official figures show 32 people breached Covid19 isolation rules during a 58day period between April and June.
The breaches occurred between April 17 and June 14, for either absconding, failing to return or attempting to flee the managed isolation facilities.
Nobody was charged. Police or health officials were warning and educating those who broke the rules.
Half of the breaches were people who failed to return or were late to return after being granted an exemption to attend a funeral or tangi.
Seven breaches were people who escaped isolation, including four people who fled the Rydges Hotel in Auckland on May 10.
The incident does not appear to have been reported publicly.
The four people were later found at a relative’s house.
After weighing up the health risks, no charges were laid but those involved were warned and educated.
The Ministry of Health ran mobile testing of people they had been in contact with while away from isolation.
In a briefing sent to the police minister on June 22 and obtained under the Official Information Act, they said the quarantine and managed isolation operation, dubbed Operation Mercy, was run by the Ministry of Health and Defence Force, not police.
But police did aid in tracking down and returning people to isolation when called upon.
The report said ‘‘all of the cases . . . were resolved successfully by the agencies involved’’. — RNZ