Ashes set wall on fire

South Waikato News - - NEWS -

Toko­roa Chief fire of­fi­cer Dave Mor­ris is urg­ing res­i­dents to be vig­i­lant with their fire ashes af­ter a fire broke out last week.

Last Tues­day the fire bri­gade was called to a Koreke Place prop­erty where a small fire had ig­nited on the side of the house.

The in­ci­dent high­lights the is­sue of where to dis­card em­bers once re­moved from a fire­place.

‘‘The fire was caused by a per­son putting ashes into a plas­tic bucket,’’ Mr Mor­ris said.

‘‘Prefer­ably peo­ple should use a metal bucket and place it in a safe place, away from any fences or build­ings. At least a me­tre away, where there aren’t any hous­ing or build­ing struc­tures.

‘‘We have had about three fires to fences this year, where peo­ple have done the right thing, put their ashes in a bucket and taken it down the back of the prop­erty but next to a fence,’’ he said.

He also said res­i­dents can dis­pose of their ashes in a hole dug in a gar­den.

‘‘But please put the gar­den hose on them first. Dampen down the ashes.’’

The shocked home­owner said a fam­ily mem­ber had emp­tied out the fire­place from the night be­fore.

‘‘I was sit­ting inside and thought I could smell smoke.

‘‘I ran out and saw it [the fire] then pan­icked, I was like one, one, one,’’ she said.

At the time the fire engine ar­rived on the scene smoke had moved up into the roof.

‘‘The fire­fighter had one of his guys get up into the roof and he said I was very lucky.’’

The woman also praised her neigh­bour’s quick re­sponse by at­tempt­ing to douse the flames with a gar­den hose.

HOT ASHES: Toko­roa Fire Bri­gade of­fi­cials are re­mind­ing res­i­dents to en­sure em­bers from fire­places are dis­carded safely af­ter a blaze broke out in Toko­roa.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.