Guilty of part­ner’s mur­der

South Waikato News - - Your Paper, Your Place - MATT SHAND

A man ac­cused of se­verely beat­ing his part­ner, killing her, has been found guilty of mur­der af­ter less than an hour of de­lib­er­a­tions.

Jamie Te Hiko, 44, has been on trial in the High Court in Ro­torua ac­cused of mur­der­ing Quee­nie Karaka, also known as Se­lena or Nina Thomp­son, at their home in Ati­a­muri in April 2016.

The jury re­tired at 10.45am on Tues­day to con­sider their ver­dict, reach­ing it around 11.35am.

Ex­tra se­cu­rity was brought in as the ver­dict was de­liv­ered in front of a pack public gallery full of fam­ily and friends of both Te Hiko and Thomp­son.

There were gasps of re­lief from Thomp­son’s fam­ily as the words ‘‘guilty’’ were read out.

Te Hiko in­stead stood mo­tion­less, show­ing lit­tle vis­i­ble emo­tion. He will be sen­tenced on April 28.

Te Hiko al­ways main­tained that while he caused the in­juries that ul­ti­mately killed Thomp­son, he did not know they would kill her at the time.

He gave ev­i­dence dur­ing the trial and said he beat Thomp­son be­cause she wouldn’t tell him who she was al­legedly cheat­ing on him with.

Te Hiko said he hit her ap­prox­i­mately 10 times, not 70 like the pathol­o­gist who ex­am­ined Thom­spon had tes­ti­fied.

‘‘A lit­tle white man might have to hit some­one 70 times,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m like four or five.’’

When his rage sub­sided, he lifted her into the bed, un­dressed her from her bloody clothes and placed her in a blan­ket.

‘‘I was say­ing sorry my dar­ling for do­ing that,’’ he said.

Te Hiko said he slept in the room with Thomp­son’s head on his arm but when he woke the next morn­ing he couldn’t wake her.

Dur­ing her clos­ing sub­mis­sion on Mon­day Crown pros­e­cu­tor Amanda Gor­don said Te Hiko was in full con­trol, and knew what he was do­ing when he as­saulted Thomp­son.

‘‘The crown says there is no doubt and that you [jury] can have no doubt, that Nina Thomp­son died as a re­sult of a bru­tal, sav­age, rage fu­elled assault,’’ she said.

‘‘A bash­ing, in the de­fen­dant’s own words, in which she stood no chance.’’ Hale said the fol­low­ing three months af­ter di­ag­no­sis were the hard­est.

‘‘Dante was ripped out of school, pumped with drugs and medicine and had to get used to nee­dles. See­ing him go through ev­ery­thing was re­ally hard,’’ she said.

Hale said hav­ing ac­cess to free ac­com­mo­da­tion at Ron­ald Mcdon­ald House was in­valu­able.

‘‘Hav­ing your child go through some­thing like this is hard enough, you don’t want the added stress of wor­ry­ing about where to stay and Ron­ald Mcdon­ald House was a hop skip and a walk from Star­ship,’’ she said.

‘‘They went out of their way to elim­i­nate any un­nec­es­sary stress for me and my fam­ily.’’

Thanks to on­go­ing treat­ment things are now look­ing up for Dante.

‘‘By the time he is eight and a half he should be fully cured and there will be no look­ing back,’’ Hale said. ‘‘He has been a su­per­star.’’ She en­cour­aged peo­ple to do­nate to Ron­ald Mcdon­ald House.

‘‘If you see a box drop some­thing in there be­cause you just never know,’’ she said


A jury has found Jamie Te Hiko guilty of mur­der­ing Nina Thomp­son (pic­tured in­set) in April last year.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.