Man cut bracelet off ‘to get space’

Taranaki Daily News - - News - DAVID BUR­ROUGHS

It was his grand­mother’s plea that kept Sa­muel Lewis Pep­perell-Carr out prison, but six months later, that’s where Taranaki man has ended up af­ter he cut off his elec­tronic mon­i­tor­ing bracelet and fled to his girl­friend’s house.

Pep­perell-Carr, 21, had been sen­tenced to nine months’ home de­ten­tion af­ter he at­tacked Strat­ford sushi shop owner Kris­ten Shin and at­tempted to take her car on De­cem­ber 6.

As she screamed and fought his at­tempts to steal her keys, Pep­perell-Car bit her twice be­fore he ran off, pur­sued by garage owner Peter Martin, who chased him down a lane, over fences and into an al­ley­way, de­spite Pep­perell-Carr mak­ing threats to knife him and kill his fam­ily.

In May, Pep­perell-Carr was sen­tenced on charges of in­jur­ing with in­tent to in­jure, com­mon as­sault, wil­ful dam­age, re­sist­ing po­lice, two counts of threat­en­ing to kill, at­tempted un­law­ful tak­ing of a mo­tor ve­hi­cle and as­sault­ing po­lice.

Although a pre-sen­tence re­port rec­om­mended jail, lawyer Paul Kee­gan had urged Judge Chris Sy­grove to con­sider a sen­tence of home de­ten­tion and Pep­perell-Carr’s grand­mother wrote a let­ter of­fer­ing to over­see a home de­ten­tion sen­tence at her Waitara home.

Pep­perell-Carr, who had his

21st birth­day while he was on re­mand, told Sy­grove he had spent a lot of time think­ing about his fu­ture. ‘‘I don’t want to spend the rest of my life in prison, I want to change my ways,’’ he said at the time.

Sy­grove warned Pep­perell-Carr he had been con­sid­er­ing prison be­fore he de­cided on home de­ten­tion. ‘‘Were it not for your grand­mother’s let­ter you’d be go­ing to jail. Don’t let your your grand­mother down.’’

But that’s ex­actly what Pep­perell-Carr did on Septem­ber

12 when he cut off his elec­tronic mon­i­tor­ing bracelet and fled to his girl­friend’s house.

He was ar­rested there with­out is­sue the fol­low­ing day.

On Thurs­day, Pep­perell-Carr ap­peared in the New Ply­mouth Dis­trict Court for the es­cape, which de­fence lawyer Paul Kee­gan said was doomed from the start.

Pep­perell-Carr had been feel­ing cramped and felt he needed space, Kee­gan told the court.

Judge Kevin Glubb said Pep­perell-Carr’s es­cape had been im­pul­sive, like most of his pre­vi­ous of­fend­ing. ‘‘Why you didn’t abide by those con­di­tions is hard to see but you have got your­self in a pickle,’’ he said.

He sen­tenced Pep­perell-Carr to three months in prison for the breach of home de­ten­tion and con­verted the re­main­der of his home de­ten­tion sen­tenced to an ad­di­tional 11 months in prison.

"I don't want to spend the rest of my life in prison." Pep­perell-Carr

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.