All is lost, in fam­ily’s house fire

Taupo Times - - 100TH HIGH TIME FOR A PINK PARTY BIRTHDAY REG - PHILLIPA YALDEN

One mo­ment he was look­ing for­ward to some deep fried chips.

The next he was out­side watch­ing flames con­sume the fam­ily home and ev­ery­thing in­side.

‘‘The house was com­pletely gone - they have their clothes on their backs and that’s about it,’’ Man­gakino Fire Chief Craig Snow­ball said.

The three bed­room Waikato rental was com­pletely gut­ted in the blaze on Wed­nes­day even­ing.

Around 6.30pm the man liv­ing at the 90 square me­tre house in Kahu St was cook­ing some chips in a pot of hot oil on the stove in the kitchen.

He left the room mo­men­tar­ily and re­turned to find the stove top in flames, Snow­ball said.

‘‘He pan­icked. He got out and tried to raise the neigh­bours and some of them shot back there.

‘‘He grabbed the hose and went back in but by then it was too far gone.’’

When the first of three fire crews ar­rived half the house was ablaze, Snow­ball said.

‘‘There were flames lap­ping out of the back of the house, out the side win­dows, pretty much the whole house was smoke logged and dam­aged.

‘‘It was a lit­tle Mango’ house and it doesn’t take long for them to go.’’

About a dozen fire­fight­ers used low pres­sure hoses to ex­ter­nally ex­tin­guish the blaze.

With back-up from Toko­roa and Taupo’s op­er­a­tional sup­port unit, Snow­ball said crews en­tered the house to douse the re­main­der of the fire.

Snow­ball said the man, in his 20s or 30s, lived at the home with his part­ner and child. He didn’t be­lieve they had in­sur­ance to cover the losses.

‘‘He’s feel­ing gut­ted, as you would, but he’s a lo­cal boy so he’s got good sup­port around the town.’’

A fire safety in­ves­ti­ga­tor was called and at­tended the blaze, con­firm­ing it was an ac­ci­den­tal blaze that started in the pot of oil in the kitchen. Fire crews left the scene at 9.45pm.

The Taupo Times sent a re­porter to the scene yes­ter­day morn­ing but had not been able to lo­cate the fam­ily by the dead­line time for this pa­per.

How­ever if any­one wants to make a do­na­tion of clothes or fur­ni­ture to the fam­ily, they can email; daniel.hutchin­son@fair­fax­me­dia.co.nz with their de­tails and we will pass this on.

SUP­PLIED

Fire de­stroyed this house.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.