Year­bury con­quers hard ad­ven­ture en­duro

Ex­treme mo­tor­cy­cle event a bru­tal af­fair won by Cam­bridge rider

Waipa Post - - News - BY ANDY McGECHAN

Only the bravest dared to en­ter and only a few sur­vived to fin­ish, but that was per­haps to be ex­pected from an event called the Husq­varna Hard Ad­ven­ture En­duro.

This year’s third an­nual run­ning of the ex­treme mo­tor­cy­cle event was again a bru­tal af­fair and the sim­i­lar­i­ties didn’t end there ei­ther, with the same hardas-nails rider who won it last sea­son win­ning it out­right again — Cam­bridge diesel me­chanic Dy­lan Year­bury (Husq­varna TE300).

This ‘last man stand­ing’ af­fair, in un­tamed forestry land be­tween Toko­roa and Taupo, of­fered up plenty of drama and the 23-year-old Year­bury was not im­mune to mis­for­tune, which made it even more sur­pris­ing that he could cel­e­brate back-to­back wins in this stern two-anda-half-day test of man and ma­chine.

The event started on Fri­day af­ter­noon with a ‘pro­logue’, a se­ries of sprints over man-made ob­sta­cles, in­clud­ing trac­tor tyres, con­crete pipes, metal skip bins, a nar­row beam ‘tightrope’ and wooden ramps, with a few sharp-edged boul­ders thrown in for good mea­sure.

Re­sults here de­ter­mined the start­ing or­der for the fol­low­ing two days of for­est rid­ing.

The event was de­signed to be tor­ment­ing, of­fer­ing up tracks with vary­ing de­grees of dif­fi­culty, de­pend­ing on whether a rider was graded as Gold, Sil­ver or Bronze cal­i­bre.

Rid­ers nav­i­gated the course us­ing a Global Po­si­tion­ing Satel­lite (GPS) de­vice mounted on their han­dle­bars and even that didn’t pre­vent some rid­ers get­ting a lit­tle lost at times.

“I can’t be­lieve I won again, af­ter the se­ries of unfortunate events I suf­fered this year,” said Year­bury.

“I lost my front brake when a nut came loose and the brake fluid es­caped. Fel­low racer Chris Birch (from Glen Eden) stopped to help me fill the cylin­der back up with wa­ter, as a stop-gap mea­sure, and then bleed the brakes, and that got me to the end of the day, when I could re­place the oil.

“The next day (Sun­day) the bike sim­ply stopped be­cause I had got dirt in the fuel fil­ter. I cleaned it out and I was away again, but I had lost a lot of time. Then I got barbed wire wrapped around my rear wheel and this time (an­other fel­low com­peti­tor) Tony Parker stopped to help me.”

Twice more Year­bury was lucky to re­ceive as­sis­tance from his ri­vals — Wainuiomata’s Jake Whitaker help­ing him scale a huge log and He­lensville’s Tom Bux­ton as­sist­ing him on a hill climb — th­ese ac­tions epit­o­mis­ing the ca­ma­raderie that ex­ists be­tween th­ese bat­tle­hard­ened dirt bike rid­ers.

“We all want to win, but we’re all mates too,” said Year­bury.

Over­all run­ner-up to Year­bury was Whitaker — who re­mark­ably fin­ished just 49 sec­onds be­hind af­ter more than 12 hours of rid­ing — fol­lowed by Bux­ton, with New Ply­mouth’s Parker and Hamil­ton’s Phil Sin­gle­ton round­ing out the top five.

Best of the Sil­ver-graded rid­ers was Cam­bridge’s Beau Tay­lor, while White­cliffs’ Cody Cor­son topped the Bronze rider list.

“There was a mas­sive va­ri­ety of ter­rain that we cov­ered, from mud, rocks, for­est streams, steep hills, log cut-overs and bits of road . . . it had every­thing,” said Year­bury.

“It was to be ex­pected though . . . it’s in the name of the event, ‘hard’ and ‘ad­ven­ture’ and it was both of those things and I’m feel­ing pretty sore and worn out right now.”

Photo / Andy McGechan, Bike­

Cam­bridge’s Dy­lan Year­bury (Husq­varna TE300), who made it back-to-back wins for the an­nual Husq­varna Hard Ad­ven­ture En­duro event at Labour Week­end.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.