Belmont Bays Walk, North Shore
This Belmont Bay walk, was chosen by Grace after she read an inspiring article about the founder of the Belmont Cafe "Little & Friday".
This walk takes you around the Belmont area where you will find reserves, cycle ways, playgrounds and views of the Harbour Bridge with the Waitakere Ranges as a back drop.
Part of this walk is along the Takapuna Cycle Route which currently extends from Esmonde Road to Victoria Road and the ferry in Devonport, stretching 6.8 km with a return walking trip taking around three hours.
The cycle route is paved and relatively flat, making it suitable for wheelchairs, pushchairs and a range of fitness levels. Nearby Walks: Devonport – Mount Victoria and North Head Takapuna Explorer Description: A mix of level paths and slightly inclined paths. Suitable for users of average fitness and mobility.
To see: Estuary views, wetlands, residential housing, Auckland harbour Bridge
Time: approx. 45 minutes. (about 4.00 kms)
Parking: Corner Eversleigh Road & Rutherford Street Buses: Lake Road, Belmont Cafés: “Little&Friday” in Eversleigh Road Public toilets: Bayswater Park Children’s playgrounds: Northboro Reserve, Bayswater Park Dogs: On leash only Picnic Sites: Take a rug—picnic spots and bench seating along route Directions: Start from Corner Eversleigh Road (off Lake Road) & Rutherford Street.
1. Use the left-hand footpath along Rutherford Street and turn left < onto the pathway between the #10 & #9.
2. At the Northboro Reserve, keep to the right-hand path, then turn left < at the T-junction below the playground.
3. Follow the cycleway/walkway, cross the long bridge, go past O’Neills Point Cemetery.
4. Cross over Bayswater Road and continue straight ahead through Bayswater Park.
5. Cross over Roberts Avenue and enter Plymouth Reserve. Continue along the grass track down the hill.
6. Join the concrete walkway and continue straight ahead.
7. At the Y-junction, keep left < along the concrete walkway then continue straight ahead alongside the playground to exit into Casino Street. 8. Turn right > into Roberts Avenue. 9. Turn left < onto the path that runs alongside the Bayswater Primary School playing field on the far side of the tall trees (nature walk).
10. Cross Bayswater Avenue and continue straight ahead into Moana Avenue. 11. Turn right > into Egremont Street. 12. Turn left < along Lake Road. 13. Turn left < into Bardia Street. 14. Turn right > into Coronation Street.
15. Return to the start.
Above: The Harbour Bridge and Waitakere Ranges in the background. Below: Along a paved track with a seat to stop and take in the scenery.
Short Walks in Auckland have documented over 100 short walk mini adventures which are guaranteed to get you out amongst nature and discover places in Auckland that even the locals don’t know about. Visit the website to sign up for 10 free walks and a...
Above: Mother and daughter (in law) on a hiking trip on our day off! Going to the Mangaturuturu Hut on Mt Ruapehu (Turoa side). What a stunning walk! Photo by Elle Corbett, Ohakune. Below: The Invercargill Active Walkers Kiwi Seniors walking the Kepler...