We told security agents about impending attack – Chibok resident
Security agencies were told of an impending attack on Chibok by the Boko Haram sect even before Monday’s abduction of many school girls but no action was taken, a resident told Daily Trust yesterday.
The resident told our reporter on phone from Maiduguri that after several attacks on neighbouring communities, they heard on good authority that Boko Haram members had plans to move to Chibok. He said they informed the soldiers in Chibok about it.
The resident, an uncle of one of the abducted girls, said instead of taking action, the security men in Damboa told their colleagues in Chibok to run away since they did not have the weapons to fight the Boko Haram members.
“So, the soldiers ran away on Monday around 8.pm and left only mobile policemen and one soldier. The Boko Haram people killed one mopol, the soldier was killed when he was trying to jump a fence,” he said.
The resident added that the Boko Haram members divided themselves into two groups, one group going to the Government Secondary School and the other to Chibok town.
He said so far, he had no information about any girl that returned yesterday apart from those that escaped while the insurgents were taking them away.
He however added that security has been beefed up in the area as soldiers from Maiduguri and Domboa were drafted there. But despite that, he said, residents were not satisfied and had to leave.