An­other sus­pected kid­nap­per burnt in Ilorin

Daily Trust - - NEWS - From Ab­dul­la­teef Aliyu, Ilorin

For the fourth time in two weeks, a sus­pected crim­i­nal was killed in Ilorin, the Kwara State cap­i­tal. Daily Trust gath­ered that a sus­pected fe­male kid­nap­per was yes­ter­day burnt to death.

The sus­pect was re­port­edly ar­rested along Pakata/Adeta road and was burnt at the pop­u­lar Adeta round about be­fore the ar­rival of the po­lice.

This in­ci­dent oc­curred de­spite the riot act read by the po­lice, warn­ing res­i­dents to stop dis­pens­ing jun­gle jus­tice.

Wit­nesses said the sus­pect was found in pos­ses­sion of three kids sus­pected to have been ab­ducted while one of them was re­port­edly dead.

Mean­while, a teenager sim­ply iden­ti­fied as Tunde was re­port­edly kid­napped at Sabo Oke area of Ilorin when he was sent on er­rand around 5pm on Tues­day.

Mother of the boy, who is said to be in SS1, con­firmed that her son is still miss­ing and ap­pealed to his ab­duc­tor to re­lease him.

While the lynch­ing in­ci­dent at Adeta was tak­ing place, a fight over girl friend en­sued at Ad­abata/Agaka area by sus­pected hood­lums who en­gaged one an­other, us­ing cut­lasses and other dan­ger­ous weapons.

Un­spec­i­fied num­ber of ve­hi­cles was re­port­edly burnt in the fra­cas which was later brought un­der con­trol through the de­ploy­ment of mo­bile po­lice­men.

The in­ci­dent paral­ysed busi­ness ac­tiv­i­ties at the commercial ar­eas with res­i­dents stay­ing in­doors and shop own­ers clos­ing early for fear of at­tack.

Po­lice spokesman, Mr. Okasanmi Ajayi con­firmed the ar­rest of four in the fra­cas as well as some ar­rests at the scene of the mob ac­tion. He said he was yet to be briefed on the miss­ing teenager. An Oshodi Mag­is­trates’ Court in La­gos yes­ter­day struck out a charge of at­tempted rape pre­ferred against a 28-year-old Face­book lover, Kelvin Suru, for want of ev­i­dence.

The mag­is­trate, Mr Akeem Fashola, who struck out the case, chided the prose­cu­tion for what he called lack of se­ri­ous­ness and dili­gent prose­cu­tion. He said the prose­cu­tion failed to present any wit­ness to tes­tify in the case.

“The court is not a ware­house where cases are kept with­out mak­ing any sig­nif­i­cant progress. The case is hereby struck out and the ac­cused dis­charged,” Fashola ruled.

The ac­cused, Suru, who re­sides at No. 11A, Rafiu Cres­cent, Mafoluku in Oshodi, was charged with a two-count of­fence of con­spir­acy and at­tempted rape.

The ac­cused, who was first ar­raigned on March 21, 2013, pleaded not guilty to the charges and was granted bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties.

The prose­cu­tion, Cpl. Ke­hinde Olatunde, had al­leged that the ac­cused com­mit­ted the of­fences on March 13, 2013 at a ho­tel in Oshodi.

Ac­cord­ing to him, the ac­cused with a man still at large ab­ducted a 22-year-old woman for the pur­pose of rap­ing her.

“Suru met the woman, a stu­dent of Imo State Univer­sity, Ow­erri, on Face­book and lied to her that he is a coun­cil­lor in La­gos. The ac­cused then in­vited her to La­gos, promis­ing to foot her trans­port and other bills,” the pros­e­cu­tor said.

Olatunde said Suru also con­spired with the yet-to-be ap­pre­hended ac­com­plice to pose as his per­sonal as­sis­tant and took the girl to the ho­tel room that was booked for her.

“The ac­com­plice led her to Suru’s room where he at­tempted to rape her,” he added.

The pros­e­cu­tor al­leged that the ac­cused tore the woman’s dress in his des­per­ate bid to rape her. (NAN)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Nigeria

© PressReader. All rights reserved.