Man left al­most deaf af­ter mis­tak­ing su­per glue for ear drops

Daily Trust - - INTERNATIONAL -

An un­for­tu­nate man landed him­self in a sticky sit­u­a­tion when he mis­took su­per glue for ear drops and had to en­dure a week of near-deaf­ness.

Song Wan, 45, ran into a hos­pi­tal's A&E de­part­ment still in his py­ja­mas af­ter he ac­ci­den­tally squirted an ex­trastrong ad­he­sive, called 502 Glue, into his left ear.

He told the doc­tor how he was in the process of re­cov­er­ing from an ear in­fec­tion and had wanted to use the drops to re­lieve an itch that was both­er­ing him.

But he was drowsy af­ter wak­ing in the night and care­lessly picked up the su­per glue be­fore squeez­ing sev­eral drops of the pow­er­ful ad­he­sive into his ear.

Re­al­is­ing his er­ror, he then rushed to the First Peo­ple’s Hos­pi­tal of Hangzhou, in China’s Zhe­jiang prov­ince, where he was seen by Doc­tor Li Yong.

The medic, an ear, nose, and throat spe­cial­ist, told him to sim­ply wait a week.

Doc­tor Li ex­plained that the mu­cous mem­brane in Song’s ear would se­crete flu­ids to form a pro­tec­tive layer be­tween the ad­he­sive and his eardrum.

He said his eardrum would likely rup­ture if he peeled the glue off too soon.

A week later, Song re­turned to the hos­pi­tal and the sub­stance was re­moved.

He told medics he had been a "ner­vous wreck" wait­ing to see whether he would re­gain the use of his ear, and praised the med­i­cal team for their

ad­vice.

Sticky: Song Wan put glue in his ear by mis­take

Cul­prit: The ad­he­sive, 502 Glue, is ex­tremely pow­er­ful stuff

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Nigeria

© PressReader. All rights reserved.