Po­lice im­pos­tors killed fam­ily head in Abuja vil­lage

Daily Trust - - CRIME - By Adam Umar

A fam­ily of six in Dakwa, Bwari Area Coun­cil of the FCT is still in shock fol­low­ing the killing of its head, who was shot dead on Satur­day by armed men who claimed to be se­cu­rity op­er­a­tives.

Ahmed Ibrahim, an in­di­gene of Oji, a vil­lage in Bassa Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment Area of Kogi State, who was en­gaged in alu­minium work in Abuja, was said to have had a dis­pute with a man who en­gaged him to carry out some work at his res­i­dence, a week be­fore the in­ci­dence.

The man was said to have threat­ened to deal with him, claim­ing that he was a se­cu­rity man.

A fam­ily source that spoke to Daily Trust dis­closed that the man was an­gry with the alu­minium worker over de­lay in com­plet­ing some of the work in his house and that Ibrahim had asked for more money, rea­son­ing that the prices of ma­te­ri­als had gone up from the time he gave the work in 2014.

The source said an ar­gu­ment had en­sued, lead­ing to the al­leged threat of ‘deal­ing with him’.

An­other mem­ber of the fam­ily, who was at home when the shoot­ing took place, said the armed men who stormed the house around 4 a.m., told them that that they were there for a search and they or­dered the late Ibrahim’s wife to lie down. The source said the woman com­plied along with her four chil­dren, and a younger brother who was vis­it­ing them at the time.

“At first, they mis­took the young man as the head of the fam­ily be­fore they later saw him in his room which was open, as all of them were al­ready awake tak­ing their predawn meal for the day’s fast­ing,’’ the source added.

“They asked him to lie down but he re­fused try­ing to know why they were in his house as they claimed to be se­cu­rity men on a search, though they gained ac­cess into the house by scal­ing the fence.

“They shot him in his chest be­fore leav­ing im­me­di­ately.

“It was said that though the fam­ily could not recog­nise the man that had an ar­gu­ment with the late Ibrahim, but he had put a call to the de­ceased’s phone on Mon­day night, and the late Ibrahim’s wife had picked the call. He had dur­ing the call told him to come to the house the next day to start the work.

“He went to the house, but on ar­rival, po­lice­men were called in and they ar­rested him, took him to the Zuba po­lice divi­sion where the mat­ter was re­ported ear­lier be­fore he was re­leased’,’ the source said.

The fam­ily said they dis­cov­ered a bul­let shell in the house af­ter the in­ci­dent which was later iden­ti­fied as sim­i­lar to those used by the po­lice. The be­reaved fam­ily called on the po­lice to use the ex­hibit to lo­cate the sus­pects.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Nigeria

© PressReader. All rights reserved.