1,279 killed in road crashes in Q2- NBS
Atotal of 1,279 persons were killed in road crashes across Nigeria in the second quarter of 2017.
The second quarter 2017 road transport data released yesterday by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) revealed that 1,207 of the 1,279 victims, representing 94 per cent were adults while the remaining 72, representing 6 per cent were children.
The data also showed that 1,022 male, representing 80 per cent got killed, while 257 female, representing 20 per cent were affected.
The NBS reported that a total of 2,503 road crashes that occurred during the period were blamed on speed violation, loss of control and dangerous driving.
Analysis of the report showed that a total of 8,270 persons were injured in the crashes.
7,805 of the 8,270 injured, representing 94 per cent were adults, while the remaining 465, representing 6 per cent were children.
6,217 male, representing 75 per cent got injured, while 2,053 female, representing 25 per cent got injured.
FCT Recorded the highest number of road crashes during the period, closely followed by Kaduna and Niger States, while Borno and Bayelsa states recorded the least.