Barca lost Neymar dad’s support over unpaid bonus
Madrid, Spain - Neymar's father and agent, Neymar Sr, has told Spanish radio that Barcelona lost his support to retain his son when it refused to pay a bonus for signing a new contract last year.
The Brazilian in an Instagram video had said that he had gone against the advice of his father.
However, Neymar Sr claimed the Barcelona board lost his support when it failed to pay the US$30.8mn bonus due earlier this week unless Neymar remained at the club this sea- son. "In that moment Barcelona lost my support when they did that," Neymar Sr told Cadena Cope.
"Until that moment I was on Barcelona's side trying to convince Neymar to stay, but with the attitude of the board I couldn't be on their side because the contract is explicit and clear."
Barca spokesman Josep Vives confirmed on Friday that the club had deposited the bonus with a notary to be paid on September 1 if Neymar stayed. However, the club has now recovered the money as according to Vives "the player hasn't fulfilled his contract."
Barca also paid a US$47mn bonus to a company owned by the player's parents N&N to bring him to the Camp Nou from Santos back in 2013.
However, Neymar Sr insisted the "brave" decision to move had been his son's. "The decision was his. He is where he dreamed of being. He is in a comfort zone, calm. He listened to the advice of his friends, of those around him and he wanted to face this challenge," he added. "I think he has been very brave, he had the right to take this decision."
Neymar Sr insisted his son never sought to be Messi's heir to the throne at Barca. "Everyone said he had to replace him, he didn't want to replace him," he added. "You have to leave Leo alone, he is an idol here. Neymar has to take his own road and accept the challenge he has.”