Taliban attacks on Afghan forces cause ‘heavy casualties’
KUNDUZ: Taliban attacks on Afghan security forces in the country’s north have caused “heavy casualties”, officials said on Thursday, putting the number of soldiers killed as high as 40 in ongoing fighting.
Militants using night-vision goggles launched simultaneous raids on several Afghan military bases and posts in Dashte Archi district in Kunduz province overnight, defence ministry spokesman Mohammad Radmanish and other Afghan security sources said.
“We have suffered casualties, the Taliban have also suffered casualties,” Radmanish said.
Between 10 and 15 Afghan soldiers had been killed so far, and about the same number wounded, he added.
But an Afghan security source said that the death toll among security forces was “more than 40”, and another confirmed that 39 had been killed and 10 wounded.
A separate security source said there had been “heavy casualties” among the soldiers.
An air and ground operation against the Taliban was under way, Radmanish said.
But on Thursday afternoon an army base on the border between Kunduz and Takhar provinces, where 29 security forces had been killed and 17 others wounded, was still under Taliban control, Takhar governor spokesman Sunatullah Timor said.
“No reinforcements have come to the area yet,” he said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility on Twitter for the attacks.