LABARD Mela kicks off

The Pak Banker - - NATIONAL - Staff Re­porter

City elite, top politi­cians, bu­reau­crats and heads of var­i­ous spe­cial ed­u­ca­tion in­sti­tu­tions on Wed­nes­day joined hands with thou­sands of spe­cial chil­dren to wel­come Spring at LABARD Mela at Gul­shan-e-Iqbal Park on Wed­nes­day.

Over the years, the LABARD Mela has be­come a great at­trac­tion for the spe­cial chil­dren as it has at­tained the sta­tus of an­nual cul­tural event of the City.

As many as 7000 spe­cial chil­dren be­long­ing to var­i­ous in­sti­tu­tions took part in dif­fer­ent ac­tiv­i­ties. There were 50 stalls where free food and other stuff was made avail­able to the par­tic­i­pants.

The very ob­jec­tive of hold­ing this mela is to give en­cour­age­ment to the dis­abled per­sons for mak­ing them use­ful ci­ti­zens of the so­ci­ety so that they could be able to play a pos­i­tive role in their fu­ture life.

Mem­ber Na­tional As­sem­bly (MNA) & LABARD Pres­i­dent Pervez Ma­lik, DCO La­hore Noor-ulAmin Men­gal, DG PHA Muham­mad Mah­mood, LCCI Pres­i­dent Fa­rooq Iftikhar, Vice Pres­i­dent Mian Abuzar Shad, LABARD Se­nior Vice Pres­i­dent Mian Nus­ratud­din, Joint Sec­re­tary Muham­mad Saeed Khan, Ah­mer Ma­lik, Laila Nus­ratud­din, Shaista Pervez Ma­lik and a large num­ber of city elites par­tic­i­pated in the LABARD Mela.

Ad­dress­ing the par­tic­i­pants, the LABARD Pres­i­dent Per­vaiz Ma­lik said that it is duty of ev­ery cit­i­zen to play his role for the bet­ter­ment of the so­ci­ety.

He said that over 10% pop­u­la­tion of all the de­vel­op­ing coun­tries con­sists of dis­abled per­sons that need to be taken care of by the rest of the 90 per cent in the larger in­ter­ests of the whole so­ci­ety.

He said that ev­ery one should co­op­er­ate with NGOs like LABARD as nearly 200,000 peo­ple are wait­ing for help in the sub­urbs of La­hore.

While ap­pre­ci­at­ing the LCCI role in mak­ing the event a big success, Per­vaiz Ma­lik said that the La­hore Cham­ber of Com­merce and In­dus­try was also ex­tend­ing ev­ery help to the La­hore Busi­ness­men As­so­ci­a­tion for the Re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion of dis­abled per­sons as they are an im­por­tant seg­ment of the so­ci­ety and their ac­tive par­tic­i­pa­tion is nec­es­sary for coun­try's devel­op­ment. Both the speak­ers said that there is a need to launch spe­cific pro­grams for train­ing and ed­u­ca­tion of dis­abled per­sons.

Per­vaiz Ma­lik in­formed the par­tic­i­pants that the LABARD was serv­ing the ail­ing hu­man­ity by pro­vid­ing them with med­i­cal fa­cil­i­ties and by ex­tend­ing Qarz-eHasna be­sides train­ing and job place­ments. It has very re­cently started giv­ing stipend to the LABARD trainees.

In his ad­dress, the LCCI Pres­i­dent Fa­rooq Iftikhar paid rich tributes to LABARD of­fice-bear­ers for spend­ing their time and en­er­gies for this no­ble cause. He said that LABARD is a feather in LCCI cap and the La­hore Cham­ber of Com­merce and In­dus­try would leave no stone un­turned in en­sur­ing proper as­sis­tance to the LABARD. He said that all the busi­ness­men should at least ac­com­mo­date one dis­abled per­son in his fac­tory or of­fice to cur­tail the mis­eries of the so­ci­ety.

Fa­rooq Iftikhar said that there is a need to launch spe­cific pro­grammes for train­ing and ed­u­ca­tion of dis­abled per­sons. He said that the spe­cial per­sons pos­sess God gifted qual­i­ties but we all should make col­lec­tive ef­forts for en­hanc­ing their skills so that they could be­come use­ful mem­bers of the so­ci­ety.

It is per­ti­nent to men­tion that LABARD Mela for the spe­cial chil­dren has be­come an an­nual cul­tural event of the City as is be­ing par­tic­i­pated by a large num­ber of dis­abled per­sons who en­joy all en­ter­tain­ments like other healthy mem­bers of the so­ci­ety.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Pakistan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.