‘Ridge and Reef’ expanded corridor set to be launched in Ilocos Norte
LAOAG CITY – Everything is set for the formal launch of the “Ridge and Reef Baguio City – Region 1 Travel Corridor” in Ilocos Norte on October 20, according to Ilocos Norte’s Communications and Media Officer Rhona Ysabel Daoang.
She said that it will be the main focus for the conduct of the Seventh Region 1 Tourism Convention which will be hosted by the province of Ilocos Norte.
Among the highlights of the event will be the launch of the Region 1 Travel Corridor and Branding Campaign in Sitio Remedios, Currimao, Ilocos Norte, the opening of the Ridge and Reef mini-travel fair at the Robinsons Mall in San Nicolas town, and the Ridge and Reef Travel Corridor B2B in Fort Ilocandia Resort.
Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat is expected to grace the three significant events that aims to cushion the impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic across tourism industries in Northern Luzon.
Last month, delegations composed of Region 1 tourism officers, representatives from local government executives, and presidents of various tourism stakeholders associations, attended the launch of the “Ridge and Reef Travel Corridor,” in Baguio City. The event signaled the formal reopening of domestic tourism in Northern Luzon amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Thursday, the province of Ilocos Norte started to open its borders for leisure travel in which tourists from the whole of Luzon island were already allowed to visit the province. This was part of the Phase II of the Ridge and Reef Expanded Travel Corridor initiative of the local chief executives and tourism councils in Northern Luzon.
“As of Saturday, we already welcomed two tourists from Baguio City and another two from National Capital
Region (NCR). We are expecting the arrival of more tourists in the future following the unlocking of the entry of the borders in the province,” Daoang said.
The provincial government, Ilocos Norte through Governor Matthew Marcos Manotoc, had issued an executive order pertaining to the guidelines for safely welcoming tourists from other Luzon regions.
Only 50 pre-arranged visitors, through Department of Tourism (DOT)-accredited tour agencies and establishments, were allowed to enter the province each day. Those who are pregnant, with comorbidities, and children with chronic health conditions were not permitted to travel here.
Under the executive order that established the guidelines for the second phase of reopening of tourism in Ilocos Norte, visitors were subject to compulsory COVID-19 tests before traveling to the province.