Basyang leaves man dead in Ale­gria

Capi­tol to give as­sis­tance to the fam­ily of the man who died af­ter a co­conut tree fell on his house. In­di­vid­u­als who were stranded in ports in Cebu Prov­ince al­ready able to leave. Tal­isay dis­trib­utes food as­sis­tance to fish­er­men af­fected by the weather di


A man died in Ale­gria town af­ter a co­conut tree yielded to trop­i­cal de­pres­sion Basyang’s gusts and fell on his hut while he slept.

Some 1,600 evac­u­ated in dif­fer­ent towns but safely re­turned home on Wed­nes­day, when the skies had cleared af­ter nearly two days of rain.

A cen­tury-old aca­cia fell on D. Jakos­alem St. but Cebu City was oth­er­wise spared. As of 5 p.m. on Valen­tine’s Day, Basyang weak­ened into a low-pres­sure area. Pa­gasa said it ex­pected Basyang to leave the Philip­pine Area of Re­spon­si­bil­ity this morn­ing.

A 57-year-old man from Ale­gria, Cebu was killed when trop­i­cal de­pres­sion Basyang bat­tered Cebu last Tues­day night.

Je­nas De­me­cillo Al­lones, 57, a res­i­dent of Si­tio Sangi in Barangay Madride­jos, died af­ter a co­conut tree landed on his hut af­ter strong winds top­pled it.

In an in­ter­view, Julius Reg­ner, Provin­cial Dis­as­ter Risk Re­duc­tion and Man­age­ment Of­fice (PDRRMO) in­for­ma­tion of­fi­cer, said that Al­lones was sleep­ing in­side his house at 11 p.m. when strong winds bat­tered Ale­gria.

Un­known to Al­lones, a co­conut tree out­side his house was start­ing to give way. The tree pinned him.

Neigh­bors who res­cued Al­lones im­me­di­ately brought him to the St. Peter’s Hos­pi­tal in Barangay Pobla­cion, but he died an hour af­ter.

Reg­ner said that Al­lones’ younger brother was sup­posed to be stay­ing with him that night, but he re­port­edly went out with his rel­a­tives.

Cebu Gov. Hi­lario Da­vide II, in a sep­a­rate in­ter­view, com­mit­ted to pro­vide as­sis­tance to Al­lones’ fam­ily.

Mean­while, PDRRMO re­ported that around 1,655 evac­uees in dif­fer­ent towns in Cebu Prov­ince al­ready re­turned home af­ter the weather nor­mal­ized.

More than 850 in­di­vid­u­als stranded in ports across Cebu Prov­ince were also able to leave af­ter the Coast Guard al­lowed pas­sen­ger ves­sels to sail.

In Tal­isay, the City Govern­ment dis­trib­uted food as­sis­tance to 1,000 fam­i­lies of fish­ers whose liveli­hood Basyang had sus­pended.

They were not able to go fish­ing for three days due to the bad weather.

The fam­i­lies, who are from Barangays Tangke, Can­so­jong, Pobla­cion, Bi­a­song, and Pooc, each re­ceived three ki­los of rice and canned goods.

Tal­isay City Dis­as­ter Risk Re­duc­tion and Man­age­ment of­fice head Alvin San­til­lana said that Basyang has not dam­aged any infrastructure or house in the city. There has also been no re­port of flood­ing or land­slide.

As of yes­ter­day, Basyang was mov­ing to­ward the south­ern part of Palawan.

All storm sig­nals in the Visayas were lifted by the Philip­pine At­mo­spheric, Geo­phys­i­cal and As­tro­nom­i­cal Ser­vices Ad­min­is­tra­tion as of yes­ter­day morn­ing.

Sig­nal No.1 re­mained in ef­fect in the Calamian and Cuyo Group of Is­lands in Palawan./


BEN­E­FI­CIARY. A man grins af­ter he and his fel­low fish­er­man, who were af­fected by trop­i­cal de­pres­sion Basyang, re­ceived food from the Tal­isay City Govern­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.